Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Why disconnect the battery before exhaust removal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Charles Darwin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why disconnect the battery before exhaust removal?

When removing the tailpipe of the truck, it is stipulated in the maintenance manual that the battery is to be disconnected. Not when removing any other part of the exhaust, and only the Cummins. Why, is a mystery to me.
Who knows??

I'm going to install a straight pipe instead of the cat converter. I shouldn't get the "chk engine" light for that, should I?

DR/DH_______________
EXHAUST SYSTEM 11 - 21

5.9L DIESEL

1. Disconnect the battery negative cables.

2. Raise and support the vehicle.

3. Saturate the clamp nuts with heat valve lubricant.

Allow 5 minutes for penetration.

4. Disconnect the exhaust tailpipe support hanger isolators.
[align=left]5. Remove the muffler-to-tailpipe clamps.
6. Remove the tailpipe from the vehicle.
[/align]

INSTALLATION

[align=left]5.9L DIESEL[/align][align=left]1. Install the tailpipe into the muffler.[/align][align=left]2. Install the tailpipe hanger rods into the isolators[/align][align=left]3. Install the exhaust clamp, align the exhaust system,[/align][align=left]and tighten the clamp 48 N·m (35 ft. lbs.)[/align][align=left]torque.[/align][align=left]4. Check the exhaust system for contact with the[/align][align=left]body panels. A minimum of 25.4 mm (1.0 in.) is[/align][align=left]required between the exhaust system components[/align][align=left]and body/frame parts. Make the necessary adjustments,[/align][align=left]if needed.[/align][align=left]5. Lower the vehicle.[/align][align=left]6. Connect the battery negative cables.[/align][align=left]7. Start the engine and inspect for exhaust leaks.[/align]Repair exhaust leaks as necessary.

[align=left]

[/align]

Old 03-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why disconnect the battery before exhaust removal?

the only thing I can think of would be accidently hitting a wireing harness and grounding out one of the cables. . .12v at what ever amperage 16ga wire can handle before it melts wont be too pleasant.

I wouldnt worry about it though.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Shadow Caster
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why disconnect the battery before exhaust removal?

Probably so noone gets in the truck and drives away while you are under it. I seen it happen one day to a mechanic I was working with, he was adjusting the brakes and the driver got in the truck without checking the truck out and drove away. Luckily the mechanic was able to rollout from under the truck before the driver started moving.

Quick Reply: Why disconnect the battery before exhaust removal?