Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Injectors Maybe ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007 | 08:10 PM
NickBeek
|
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injectors Maybe ???

Ok so today I was driving up a side street and rolled to a stop. All the sudden I lost at least one maybe two cylinders, it shook and missed. I revved the engine a little and it still did it. I took off on the main road and went through the gears normally and it went away by the time I got to 6th gear. When I got where I was going I shut down and then checked for codes, there were none shown (odometer trick). After that the rest of the day everything was fine. Oh while it was happeneing there was no smoke or anything else coming from the tail pipe.
Anyone want to take stab at it?

Old 03-28-2007 | 08:20 PM
Watermelon
Captain
Default RE: Injectors Maybe ???

Bad fuel? filter ok? Water? seems like there would be a code if it was the pump or injectors.

Old 03-28-2007 | 08:28 PM
NickBeek
|
Record Breaker

I have a heavy dose of Lucas in this tank of fuel to clean her up a bit. Maybe it just swallowed some gunk. I hope thats all it is.

Old 03-28-2007 | 09:16 PM
Watermelon
Captain

Bring that mug over to fire tower road and blow it out!!! Maybe even get a good race

Old 03-28-2007 | 10:48 PM
NickBeek
|
Record Breaker

Where is that road?

I got rocks thrown at my truck by some kids on Sunday on hwy 88 just after the 178 intersection. Saw the little bastages in the weeds next to the road, then I saw him wind up and bam he hit my truck. I called the law and we caught them. Their family will now have to pay to fix the dent and paint on the side of my bed. I coulda killed that little @#$%^.

Old 03-29-2007 | 01:21 AM
Watermelon
Captain

Fire Tower Rd. is the first left after you cross 8 at the 4 way on 88. Your gettin over in my neck of the woods. I live off of Mt. View about 1/4 mile from Chestnut Springs (the castle neighborhood)[:@]When you get close to Slabtown on 88 you can expect all kind of s$#@ to fly across the road. I saw a drunk naked guy at Slabtown store a few years ago Swingin his junk at traffic. Those little s^%$# that hit your truck are probably the ones that stole my sons new bike[:@]

Old 03-29-2007 | 02:47 AM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would hate to even think of what my old man wouldhave doneto me for throwing rocks at cars. Can you say child abuse!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-29-2007 | 03:19 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: NickBeek

I have a heavy dose of Lucas in this tank of fuel to clean her up a bit. Maybe it just swallowed some gunk. I hope thats all it is.
fill back up and use the DIESEL KLEEN by power service. pick it up at checker (csk), wal mart, etc for $4 qt. that stuff is even better than what my diesel machanic sells for $15 pint!!!

then run some less traveled roads at MACH speeds [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 03-29-2007 | 11:43 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you need to put her into 4th or 5th and put the throttle onto the floor a few times.

a few runs on the dyno on apr 28th will help with that too

Old 03-29-2007 | 05:31 PM
SpLaT
Captain

Is your unit running rough at idle? Have you noticed a loss of power/fuel mileage? Do you have access to a "raytech" laser temp gun? Shoot the exhaust ports look for a "cold" cylinder. Might be a clogged or bad injector.

I too was driving along at about 30mph when the engine almost died, no giddie up go lasted for a few seconds then truck came back to life. Truck has run ok after but I have had a loss of power/mileage, so I shot each exhaust and found #1 cyl was less then 1/3 the temp as the others. A buddy of mine had the same thing happen to him truck almost died came back and seemed normal except for power/mileage loss. I had him come over making sure his truck was "hot" and shot his exhaust found #1 and 6 were ice cold compared to middle cyls. He has since taken it to the stealer and they replaced all 6 injectors, Stealer is calling it "runaway"! Mine goes in tomorrow to have injectors replaced as well. Another buddy is having the same issues and he has made an appointment to get his replaced as well! Interesting fact is all 3 of our trucks were manufactured at the same time, possibly a bad run injectors made it through QC!?

Quick Reply: Injectors Maybe ???