Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Exhaust Brake and more installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Sereguial
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Brake and more installed

This weekend I finally got around to doing the exhaust brake, as well as some other odds and end parts.
The exhaust brake is a 2004.5+ Jacobs exhaust brake (couldn't find one for the 03, at the price I found this one for, and this one doesn't neck down to 3.5"), no issues on the install except the locator pins on the brake is not the same for 2003 and 2004.5 So had to take them out and adjust it untill clearances all around were ok.
Along with the exhaust brake was a 5" flow through exhaust (for a 2004.5+ since I didn't have the 03 elbow anymore), an adjustable boost elbow set at 35#, and the Walbro GFS lift pump. The combination of these items is great!
Before this, with the Edge on 4 or 5 it was common to see 1300 EGT's without really pushing it, and saw 1000 on this particular hill in 1 or 2 frequently. Well with this the EGT's didn't get above 1000, without pushing it on the same hill, all in 5!
My only complaint is that with the straight through exhaust, the brake is really annoying at idle (during the warmup feature), sounds like a high pressure air line leak... but I think I can deal with it for the added stopping power it provides.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:51 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker
Default RE: Exhaust Brake and more installed

I know what you mean about the noise - I almost felt bad for my neighbors this AM when I set the brake at high-idle w/the straight pipe I walked to the mailbox while it was warmning up - - man that pipe is loud w/ the brake on.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:30 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

Do you guys have the pneumatic or electronic actuated brake? I'm trying to decide which one to get and the electronic one sounds easier to install, however I dont want to miss out on a cool activation sound with the compressed air. Please give me details. Thanks

Old 09-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Sereguial
Professional

The Jacobs exhaust brake for these trucks(a joint venture between Jacobs, Dodge and Cummins) is vacuum actuated, with electronic controlled (controlled by computer and user on-off ****)solenoid controlling the vacuum. As far as the sound... you don't have to worry about actuator sounds, the exhaust brake itself is VERY loud with anysort of "flow through" exhaust system. At speed it isn't nearly as noticable, but you can definately hear it.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:14 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

Great, that makes me want it even more, just dont think i can swing it right now. I still have my cat on, do you think it would be worth it to take it off? Thanks for the response

Old 09-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Sereguial
Professional

Never thought about leaving or removing a cat on these engines... mine never had one stock. I have heard a lot of yes and no, I think it depends on what you do with it (loss of low end torque was steve's experience I believe), what kind of sound you want out of it, and if you want to worry about the legal ramifications of taking it out...
Good luck with the brake! Just make sure you get one that works with the auto (I am pretty sure the Jacobs do... but I would double check).

Old 09-19-2007, 12:35 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

glad to hear ya got the mods done!!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Brake and more installed