Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Squeal from belt-driven components

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 04:27 PM
amercier4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeal from belt-driven components

Hello all,

I have a 2003 Ram 2500 with a 5.9 Cummins. I have had a squeel from the front of the engine off and on for the last couple of months. Over the last couple of days, it has developed into a constant noise. It is definitely part of the belt-driven components on the front of the engine, as the noise does not stop when the truck is stopped. I have replaced the water pump as I thought that was the culprit and have ordered a new idler pulley as the next, cost effective, step. The noise itself seems to originate on the lower passenger side of the engine around where the ilder pulley/tensioner and A/C compressor are located.

If the idler pulley does not solve the problem, my next step would appear to be the A/C Compressor. I guess I am asking a couple of questions with all of this:

1. Do I seem to be on the right track?
2. How difficult is the removal/replacement of the A/C Compressor. I know I can get my hands on the components, but have never so much as touched this particular system before.
3. Any other suggestions?

For additional background: I have a relatively new power steering pump (other side of the engine so not likely the problem), this is my 2nd water pump, belt is less than a year old, and the alternator on the top of the engine does not seem to make any noise.

Any help or advice is welcome and appreciated.

Quick Reply: Squeal from belt-driven components