Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

400,000 mile tune up

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 09:37 PM
3dubs
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400,000 mile tune up

My 2001 is pushing 400,000 miles. I have a knock inside the engine that is not good at all. It is in the front of the engine maybe the #1 but no further back for sure. I am going to pull the front off the engine and check everything. If I can't see what is wrong I will pull the engine out. If I have to pull it I was thinking I should replace the rings and hone the cylinders. And replace all the bearings. I bought this truck used with just over 300,000 miles on it. I figured there was something wrong because I got a real good deal. But I know rebuild kits are about a $1000. But that comes with pistons. Do I need to replace them?

Who makes a kit that I can get the better quality without going broke? If I have to pull it what else should I do? I want to get to 1,000,000 mile +

Old 11-12-2012, 12:28 AM
dixiedodge7369
Professional

You can re-ring and re-bearing in the vehicle... But being there's a noise you will need to Check the crank journals make sure they dident get messed up. Then you have to pull the engine or atleast the trans.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:49 PM
3dubs
Rookie

If I drop the trans can I rebuild it in the truck? I know if the block needs to be machined it would have to come out. I am just not sure how much the crossmember will get in the way. I can get a 2,000 lb engine stand. I just don't have a lift strong enough. I guess I could see if I could get somone to bring one over or a tractor

But when I looked at rebuild kits they came with pistons. I guess if I need to get the cylinders bored out I would need new pistons. But I am still hoping it is in the gears in the front of the engine.

Quick Reply: 400,000 mile tune up