Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

How much wander is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 07:20 PM
joeylead
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much wander is normal?

Ok. I have a 2003 ram 2500, 68k. Hemi, 4X4. It has a bit of steering wander, replaced all of the steering links and ends, balljoints check out ok. The truck still wanders and does not track well on the highway, i am constantly needing to make steering corrections. How much of this is normal? My last 2 rams were 1500's. This truck drives more like an ilder wrangler on 33 or 35 inch tires. I was looking onto those steering box stabilizers, but id rather fix an issuse than mask one. The one issue i am aware of, you know the noise a steering box makes when at full lock? Well now it makes the noise whenever the wheel is turned. This started right after i adjusted the steering box (with that screw at the front, top of the box). Could it be a bad steering box? There isnt much play in it.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Didn't over-tighten it did you? There is a specific procedure for adjust thing box, and there are actually two adjustments that need to be done.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:09 AM
joeylead
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did i over tighten the steering box? Perhaps, i mean the adjuster screw never bottomed out and it did help with some of the wander initially I think, but anything is possible. But, since the wander was present before that noise began, i would think that it wasnt the cause, just result of my messing around.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

I would be tempted to pull the box, and do both adjustments with in on the bench. See if that doesn't help.

Some wander is caused by your tries, and whatever tread pattern they have. I know the mud tires I had on my 96 LOVED to follow the grooves cut into the pavement for water drainage......