Dodge Ram SRT-10 The best claim to fame. the world's fastest production pick up, the Dodge Ram SRT-10. With outstanding Viper inspired styling, power and handling, this sport pick up will blow the doors off anything that gets in it's way.

Volant Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Viperpowered
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Volant Cold Air Intake

ORIGINAL: Midnight Runner

I have K&N cool air intakes on all my trucks.
You will get 19.5 HP. at 4200 rpm.
Is this your dyno numbers or what K&N says? I find it hard to believe that it would make that on a dyno.
Drop in is the way to go because of the heatsoak from these engines. Stop in go traffic the CAI will suck nothing but hot air and inlight to light driving. DC perfromance did a test on CAI's and found they are only better on a cold engine. Soon as it heats up they lost hp. I say drop in all the way.
My .02

Old 04-29-2007, 03:11 PM
06regcab

I run a VOLANT and it is GREAT you talk about it getting hot air in traffic??!!! It is a EN-CLOSED box with a snorkel to draw in cold air PLUS it has TWO other intake's down in front of grille and in the wheel well so it is getting a lot more cold air than a drop in filter in a en-closed box!! Darn some of you guy's just do not get it! Have you seen a VOLANT air box?? I had 04 REG.CAB with the K&N and I liked it , but when I bought 06 I put in my VOLANT also a pre-filter cover for fine particles or water, but never drive in rain and I don't let my-self be in HOT stop and go TRAFFIC and I know my VOLANT is not making 36H.P but it might be 15H.P but it is getting cold air and a drop in is a piece of CHIT so suck on that for now.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49404/1AEF5144AE684CE5B49C01A6B1810239.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-24-2007, 07:44 PM
King Kong

At the very least you will get great looks and a really mean sound when you utilize the hood scoop with the Volant.People havefrequentlyasked me about the hood scoop intake after I installedthe volant. I do feel a difference, especially on cooldry days (rare in Miami, Florida).

Old 06-11-2007, 04:19 PM
06regcab

How many of you ever watch drag races on T.V or in person? Now tell me all the ones using a stock air box with a cheap cheesy drop in filter? Or you just broke or to cheap to buy a decent cold air box?!! Would you rather leave the stock exhaust system on? If not why use a very restrective drop in filter?! You spend $35,000.00 to $45,000.00 or more on a high performance Truck with a V-10 and than go cheap in performance part. The guy who says a drop-in is all you need hopes he pulls next to you at a light so he can show you his tail lights. I used a K&N in my 04 and loved it, now have 06 and put VOLANT cold air box on, yes I know I'M not making 36 more H.P, maybe 10 or 15 if going 60m.p.h. on highway than the snorkel lets the hood scoop suck cold air in and its not to tight around scoop so stilllets inair to help cool motor and the other two scoops on box that picks up air from front and fender well, just did not know if any one using a drop in filter ever looked at what they use at the drags or autocross and just the plain street stock class. Now some dealers not just DODGE will up-grade your truck with pipes and cold air boxs because they know 95% of you do after a month if not less after you buy truck, I wonder why?

Old 06-11-2007, 05:21 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I love CAI debates

I am sure you realize, the stock airbox on a SRT-10 isa sealed system. It does not draw air from the engine compartment. It IS one of the best stock air boxes made!

Here is some food for thought....

I owned a 97 LT1 Formula WS6, which was the Ram Air edition of the Formula. The base Formula was rated at 285HP, the WS6 in 97 was 305HP. The difference, the intake and the exhaust. So the two upgrades netted 20HP. Who knows which one got what, but for arguement lets go with 50/50. So 10 HP from the Ram Air, which is what the Volant is, but not as efficient. I say this because the airbox is sealed on a WS6 and was a DIRECT shot into the intake, rather than all the bends a volant takes. OK, so 10HP, this was not RWHP, 305 was crank HP. This means deduct about 18%, give or take a percent. So that yields about 8 RWHP on a Ram Air system that is more efficient than the Volant.

With that said it is comparing a 5.7 LT1 to the Viper V10, so that is a little unfair. But it is the only base I can come up with that has numbers you can back it up with. Once again, I say ACTUAL numbers you can use in adebate. Now these numbersare factoryratings, which, yes, canalso can be wrong.

As I said, there is no accurate way to judge the gains of a CAI. Not to mention a CAI will do better on a truck with exhaust and upgraded heads than it would on a stock truck. People buy based on looks, sound and "promised" gains. I am not saying do not buy a CAI. I just do not want to mislead anyone on "promised" HP gains without some kind of base/after proof. If you want the look and sound, go for it, you will not be disappointed. If you want theHP increase, well, do not expect the vendors claims, expect less. Given the WS6 comparison expect about 8 RWHP which will not feel like much.

Oh, and as for 95% of truck owners have CAI's, if you can show me where you obtained that information I willeat crow and call you god

For those that have not seen a WS6 Ram Air system, here it is. Sealed to the scoop and a very short direct path to the TB. This is just for a comparison to the other Ram Air systems.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15402/FFA7306516A84C1AABC28CE677457273.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-12-2007, 08:38 PM
06regcab

I notice you hog this forum like you own it you have a answer for every issue! who the hell put you in charge of this forum?!! you are the main reason I stopped being on this forum because you open your fat mouth everytime some one has a post!! hell you answer ever F... post on this forum even if it was about a lawn mower man you need to get a girlfreind or something you are on this forum 24-7!!! now you show me any one drag raceing using a stock air box and yes I know about the trans am but that is not a drop in filter it is put right on the front of car to get all the air it can and you are the one who thinks there god because you got answer for EVERYTHING MAN GET A LIFE you are not as smart as you think because you have a 15 year old viper and old model truck you must take your computer to bathroom to take a dump or you may miss a post!!! a drop in is a piece of crap and you do not see them on PINKS or any drag races, and what about the muscle cars from the 60's and 70's they ALL had some sort of ram air system and it was not all for looks or hissing as you refer to a cold air box doing its job!!! And do not give me this god **** saying that is like you are god of everything and I know you know a drop in does not come close to a good quality cold air box!!! They have used them for years!! you are just a lonely jerk sitting by your self and ponce on ever f..... post that comes on!!! Why must you be a butt hole and tell everyone a drop in filter is all the need??!! If you could pry your fat *** out of your hole and open the hoods of the old out of date cars you have we would love to see your drop in filters, so bye GOD and say hello to JESUS for me. JERK!!!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:48 PM
CarGuyOhio

I answer the posts because no one else takes the time to answer them. Why can you not let the guy know those ground effects are not Ram SRT parts?

You have yet to post 1 piece of fact supporting a HP increase that is significant witha CAI in a SRT-10 Ram.There is a very largesample of SRT owners that agree with me, some with dynos to back it. They just do not post here. I pass along theknowledge I have from other SRT owners.

I considered removing your last post, but I think it shows the kind of person you are, so I will leave it. Go ahead and browse my posts. You will find how to, DIY, links to vendors for hard to find parts, ect. Not going to get into a character debate on the net, it is pointless.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:07 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Being rude and disrespectful is a quick way to get removed from a forum. So in the future, we ask that you remember you are an adult and act accordingly. Having said that.....

Cold Air Intakes offer some performance gains, but are best suited to be a part of a larger performance upgrade. It will not giveyou the same HP gains that the companies wind tunnel dyno's show. At best, you're seeing perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 of that HP.

Is it worth the price? Not really in my opinion. Is it a cool upgrade to add on to the rest of your work? By all means.

Our members and moderators try and help anyone who posts. Some of our members are mechanics, racers, even people who work in Dodge dealerships and so forth. If you have good information or help to offer, please do so. If you find that a member is wrong or perhaps incorrect, offer support evidence and information.

Continue to bash members and you will be gone.....

Old 07-05-2007, 03:06 PM
mrpositraction

Where are you all getting these from. I am looking at the different websites that are supposed to have them but can't find a price for them.

Thanks,
Greg

Old 07-05-2007, 05:18 PM
CarGuyOhio

Any of these can get them, even if not listed on their sites. If they are a reseller they can get it.

http://www.volant.com/volant_dealer_retail.asp

Quick Reply: Volant Cold Air Intake