Dodge Ram SRT-10 The best claim to fame. the world's fastest production pick up, the Dodge Ram SRT-10. With outstanding Viper inspired styling, power and handling, this sport pick up will blow the doors off anything that gets in it's way.

Volant Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 01:58 PM
kevmc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Volant Cold Air Intake

I have a Volant intake on my SRT-10. I didn't notice any difference inperformance, but the truck definitely sounds better.
I also removed the grill from the hood scoop, which makes the truck look more menacing, like it's going to suck you in!

Kevin

Old 07-28-2007, 08:55 PM
06regcab

Yeah just ask that know it all about filters!! Like I'M sure he has a drop in filter! what a JERK!! I run the VOLANT on my 06 and had a K&N on my 04 but I like my VOLANT better because my hood scoop allows the cool out side air to get to motor, and a lot more air than a CHEESY DROP IN FILTER!! Did the muscle cars of the 60's and 70's use a drop in filter??!! HELL NO!!They tryed to get all the air they could!! Look at the pro stock drag cars, do they use a drop in filter??!! HEY NO IT ALL! WHAT ABOUT EXHAUST??!! DO you recomend using the O.E.M. exhaust on your S.R.T.??!! Why not?Because using a good exhaust like BORLA, MAGNAFLOW, CHERRY BOMBS?? THEN WHY USE A DROP IN FILTER? YOU get more air coming in with cold air box and you get more spent exhaust with a good after market system!! I still say you are afraid someone will blow your doors off your 4 year old truck or 15 year old viper if you ever drive them, you are to busy telling everyone else the wrong in-fow and you carry your computer with you even when you take a CHIT!!!!!!!!I bet my SCREMIN EAGLE HARLEY WOULD BEAT THAT OLD *** VIPER!! HELL I BET MY 06 S.R.T. RAM TRUCK WOULD TAKE YOU!!!! DO YOU FEEL LUCKY??? LET ME KNOW!!But I'M sure you will make up a reason you can not race, I bet the BATTERYS are dead, and to any one else I thank the VOLANT COLD AIR BOX WITH SNORKELS ARE GREAT!!!! I'M SURE YOU MAY GET 10 H.P. & 15 TOURQE, and make sure to use MAGNA FLOW or BORLA and your S.R.T. will be a runner!!!!!! And by all means dont choke that 10 cylinder 500 H.P. engine with a drop in filter!! Just watch a sportsman class drag race! They try so hard to get all the air they can, hell even motorcycles or using ram air systems on there bikes, the 1400 NINJA, 1380 HAYABUSA, even my HARLEY uses a K&N FILTER, do not listen to him, he must be senile!! GOOD LUCK!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/49404/E0E425B936574657BD0642B4CC76A720.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-29-2007, 12:43 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: 06regcab

Yeah just ask that know it all about filters!! Like I'M sure he has a drop in filter! what a JERK!! I run the VOLANT on my 06 and had a K&N on my 04 but I like my VOLANT better because my hood scoop allows the cool out side air to get to motor, and a lot more air than a CHEESY DROP IN FILTER!! Did the muscle cars of the 60's and 70's use a drop in filter??!! HELL NO!!They tryed to get all the air they could!! Look at the pro stock drag cars, do they use a drop in filter??!! HEY NO IT ALL! WHAT ABOUT EXHAUST??!! DO you recomend using the O.E.M. exhaust on your S.R.T.??!! Why not?Because using a good exhaust like BORLA, MAGNAFLOW, CHERRY BOMBS?? THEN WHY USE A DROP IN FILTER? YOU get more air coming in with cold air box and you get more spent exhaust with a good after market system!! I still say you are afraid someone will blow your doors off your 4 year old truck or 15 year old viper if you ever drive them, you are to busy telling everyone else the wrong in-fow and you carry your computer with you even when you take a CHIT!!!!!!!!I bet my SCREMIN EAGLE HARLEY WOULD BEAT THAT OLD *** VIPER!! HELL I BET MY 06 S.R.T. RAM TRUCK WOULD TAKE YOU!!!! DO YOU FEEL LUCKY??? LET ME KNOW!!But I'M sure you will make up a reason you can not race, I bet the BATTERYS are dead, and to any one else I thank the VOLANT COLD AIR BOX WITH SNORKELS ARE GREAT!!!! I'M SURE YOU MAY GET 10 H.P. & 15 TOURQE, and make sure to use MAGNA FLOW or BORLA and your S.R.T. will be a runner!!!!!! And by all means dont choke that 10 cylinder 500 H.P. engine with a drop in filter!! Just watch a sportsman class drag race! They try so hard to get all the air they can, hell even motorcycles or using ram air systems on there bikes, the 1400 NINJA, 1380 HAYABUSA, even my HARLEY uses a K&N FILTER, do not listen to him, he must be senile!! GOOD LUCK!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/49404/E0E425B936574657BD0642B4CC76A720.jpg[/IMG]
You were warned.....

Old 08-02-2007, 11:17 AM
epegasus
Rookie

The thing about passion is it sometimes blows things out of proportion. Keeps things interesting, too. Just had a few considerations that might shed a little light here. First, CAIs, Cat-backs, headers and filters don't "add" or "make HP. They simply letan engine (which is nothing but an air pump) pump air more effieciently. It isn't a HP gain you are seeing but just less of a HP loss. How much air an engine takes in is determined by the bore and stroke. But, because air isflexible (it can beexpandedcreating a vacuumor compressed creating pressure)an overly restrictive intake config can cause a vacuum in the cylinders and the engine doesn't make as much power as it can. So, all you want from an intake system is for it to restrict the flow of air as little as possible; clean dirt out of the air as much as possible, and pull the air from as coola source as possible. THAT IS ALL.Problem #1. Filteringout very small particles means placing something in the air stream that adds restriction. #2. Finding a cool source means bending and routing the air which also causes flow restrictions.

Naturally asperated engines likeair to be slightly pressurized (without turbo or supercharger you can only pressurize slightly)and stable (no turbulence). The best way to do that is get the filtering and routing done early.Systems where the filter is placed at the leading edge of the intake are best, IMHO. But even a system with the filter right at the throttle body can work well if the filter element is free flowing enough. Next there needs to be a supply of filtered air readily available for the intake runners to pull from without creating a vaccum or turbulence. All you're trying to do is let the downward stroke of the piston pull the maximum amount of dense air possible.

The RAM air effect is also very misunderstood. It is possible for ram air to decrease the amount of cylinder filling when the over packing of a space causes tubulence or vibrational noise. The ram has to flow the air smoothly more than just pack it in. Ultimately, the better designed systems will offer good flow characteristic under specific conditions but not across all.

I know this hasn't settle the argument but I hope some of the misuse of terms and concepts can be cleared up. Besides, even if you get the advertised 37 HP "back" that's less than an 8% improvement. Until you're talking head work, true power adders (turbo/supercharger/NOS/meth-alc inj.), cams, pistons etc., don't sweat the small stuff. Most of the CAI systems are worth it simply because they're cool to look at when you raise the hood!!

Old 09-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Big_N_Bad
Professional

okay, I know this post is old but i gotta bring this up, 94 said that the srt intake is sealed and it is snorkeled out right, And so is the volant, So they are both technically "ram" air right since they both use the outside air to shove the air through the snorkels right past the air filter to the throttle body awaiting the piston down stroke, So REALLY doesnt it just come down to which system has the least restrictions in the Airflow I.E. The FIlter and The bends of the air passages. I mean they both utilize the air forced in from moving down the highway, So Shouldnt it be a debate about which has less restrictions, Look at roe racings SC, the Filter is connected to the engine its just mounted right there no tubing at all. So really isnt that better than even a CAI since it has no restrictions except the filter itself, which proves my point shouldnt this be a topic about which filters have less restricitons, Just a thought though,

BNB

Quick Reply: Volant Cold Air Intake