Dodge Ram SRT-10 The best claim to fame. the world's fastest production pick up, the Dodge Ram SRT-10. With outstanding Viper inspired styling, power and handling, this sport pick up will blow the doors off anything that gets in it's way.

Has anyone had electric fan conversion overheating problems ? How did you fix it ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 02:31 AM
Frank M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had electric fan conversion overheating problems ? How did you fix it ??

Hello Guys,
My truck has been down for at least 6 months my mechanic has not figured out what is wrong with it, I will describe as much detail as possible in the steps that it happened.

So one day I was driving my truck and as I made a sharp turn I felt something blow as I kept driving I felt the power steering stiff and then truck overheated, I quickly pulled over then saw that the top power steering pressure line popped out of place which means I needed a new one.

Bought a new pressure line then within a week same thing happened. Decided to take it to a mechanic to see what was up then they said the hydraulic fan's motor was out (Pressure line is connected to this hydraulic fan) I bought the electric conversion and had a mechanic install it. Drove off, line does not pop out but it still overheats, after about 20-30 minutes of driving the truck it starts overheating.

My mechanic said I need a new high performance radiator, I dont think he is right. I think there is a another problem. I am so frustrated at this point, I just bought the high performance fan but decided to do an account here and ask around, I know someone has had this issue before.

Has anyone had this issue ? If yes how did you resolve it ?

Old 09-05-2018, 07:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

What year is your truck, and which engine?

Old 09-05-2018, 02:48 PM
Frank M

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What year is your truck, and which engine?

2005 it is 8.3 Viper engine

Old 09-05-2018, 03:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is the line blowing apart at the crimp? Rumor has it, Dodge changed suppliers, and the second one has some issues with the lines.

Also, it is an unfiltered system, so, contamination is a real problem. Using a mix of fluids can also cause problems. Dodge moved away from the hydraulic fan for GenIV Vipers.... (and now you know why.)

I see a selection of electric fan conversions out there in the world, but, they sure tend to be pricey..... Still and all, might be a cheaper alternative to trying to fix the hydraulic fan......

Old 09-05-2018, 04:36 PM
Frank M

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is the line blowing apart at the crimp? Rumor has it, Dodge changed suppliers, and the second one has some issues with the lines.

Also, it is an unfiltered system, so, contamination is a real problem. Using a mix of fluids can also cause problems. Dodge moved away from the hydraulic fan for GenIV Vipers.... (and now you know why.)

I see a selection of electric fan conversions out there in the world, but, they sure tend to be pricey..... Still and all, might be a cheaper alternative to trying to fix the hydraulic fan......

I see yes I have seen this power steering line is a common problem, I will also flush out all old fluids soon and put new one in there to see if this fixes the problem which I doubt.

I already converted it to en electric fan, that is when it started overheating.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not a mean enough fan?

Quick Reply: Has anyone had electric fan conversion overheating problems ? How did you fix it ??