Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

bypass hoise/water pump question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:17 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: bypass hoise/water pump question

why do you want to swap it out? I cant see it being rusted to the point of not being able to use it. do you have any pics of it? I"m curious now.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:27 AM
racerseks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just really thorough like that. I usually just wanna fix something once. This hose/fitting assembly is a pain to get to.....and the fact that the whole cooling system is as corroded as it is.....just reinforces that for me.....thermostat, bypass hose, clamps, etc......for the price they cost, it's really just cheap insurance. Don't wanna have to get in there again for a few years.

It's rusty and corroded yes......is it still usbale? Probably.....but again, just figured while I'm in there, I'd replace it.

Sorry, I don't have any pics.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:11 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

having delt with the magnum motor on 4 different trucks, I have yet to see it be an issue. you might just want to leave it if you cant get it out. my suggestion is to flush with water, refill w/water & fire it up until its at operating tempthen drain & repeat until the water comes out clean. once it comes out clean, then use the flush additive & follow their directions. When you done flushing & ready to re-fill for the final time, I recommend distilled water over tap water. In some areas the minerals in the water mixed with some antifreezes will create sludge in the system, using distilled water will prevent that.

I posted a thread along tome ago on this when I had my 2000 ram... I had filled with tap water thinking it would only be a week or two at the most... turned into 6~8 and by the time I got back to it, sludge was already forming in the cooling system. I posted a pic of the cap & rad neck... I'll post them here for you to see. they looked like crap, the cap was nice & clean when I refilled for the short term, 6~8 weeks later looked like crap.

have a look.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1508/3CF10782B7CB4E2ABE3B6DDE85423E8B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1508/1B98C904C3F84E6EA39FEBB1446217C6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-08-2007, 01:20 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts
Default RE: bypass hose/water pump question

ORIGINAL: racerseks
I see.....can I get one anywhere?
I've never seen on for sale, but you can make one for a few bucks. First find out what size 1/2" drive socket will fit over the fitting. Then go and buy yourself that size cheapy socket, drill a hole straight through it and insert abolt and nut. Now you can slip this on the fitting, add extensions to bring a breaker bar out far enough to put some muscle into it, or use an air gun on it.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:43 PM
racerseks

Steve.....Thanks for the tip.....I've flushed it a few times in the last few hundred miles. Suspecting previous owner probably just ran straight water or something, 'cause yours looks great compared to mine! You oughta see it! The end of the water neck was just about falling apart, and the water pump inlet was swollen with pitting. Then again tap water in West Texas is terrible, so my running tap water in there probably didn't help either. I read a similar post, and taking all precautions.....have distilled water ready for when I refill it. Thanks!

Alloro.....Good ides.....especially about the air gun. I was thinking of using one with an air hammer, but again, hoping not to destroy it if it doesn't wanna come out, and hoping to not have to take the intake out as well. I suppose I'll need to get a bolt narrow enough to fit in those two ridges, huh? Thanks!

Old 06-08-2007, 05:46 PM
racerseks

I think I follow ya.....drill through the entire thing.....fitting and all, huh?

Old 06-08-2007, 06:21 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

ORIGINAL: racerseks
I suppose I'll need to get a bolt narrow enough to fit in those two ridges, huh? Thanks!
I suggest a grade 8 bolt or even possibly a roll pin since they're already hardened.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:24 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

another point to bring up is with your gunk that your talking about, you should keep an eye on your freeze plugs... that much rust & gunk on the inside may be eating away at them. you might even want to tap them gently with a screw driver just to see how sound they are. they could be a ticking time bomb waiting to bust thru.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:30 PM
racerseks

Thanks.....I might give that a shot. How's the clearance in there? enough room for a regular drill?

Old 06-08-2007, 07:20 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

drill? for what? if you need to replace one then you should be able to pop it out with a screwdriver... might take a little coaxing but shoudlnt be that hard. the only place that could give you headaches is the 2 in the rear of the block. they are covered by the bell housing. if you do need a drill, there are the extentions that allow for bending. those will help out alot.

Quick Reply: bypass hoise/water pump question