Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1987 B250 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 05:03 PM
a_dangerlg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 B250 questions

I got an '87 B250 van (5.2L V8) from a friend of mine and it has a few issues that I need some advice on.

Here's the backstory: The alternator went out on the previous owner and he didnt really use the van often so he didnt replace it and let it sit for about a year straight. Then he gave me the van and I put a new alternator and battery in and it started right up and ran surprisingly well.

Here are the issues:

The gear indicator on the steering column is stuck on park.
Usually the van wont start in park so I have to shift it to neutral to start it.
The van rolls in park.
When the van is cold the transmission slips.
The transmission appears to have a small leak on the front seal.
Could these 4 issues be related? Are there any simple things I could do to resolve some or all of these issues? Are these issues serious?

Also, the van appears to have an AC compressor but it doesn't work. If I remove the compressor will it improve my gas mileage any?

One last thing. The van has 4 captain chairs but I would like to replace the 2 rear chairs with a bench. Does anyone know If I can pull out the chairs and pop in a bench without having to drill a bunch of holes?

THanks!

-Adam

Old 06-18-2007, 06:08 AM
Erick Hurt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1987 B250 questions

The shift linkage might be out of adjustment (rolls in park) for the tranny to go into park, and I am not sure about Dodge vans, but the Fords use a small string to move the indicator needle. This might be broken on yours (not indicating the gear you are in).

The leak and the shifting problem might be related (low fluid).

Any reputable tranny shop would be able to fix your problems.

My work van has the same issues with rolling in park (my linkage is too rusty to adjust) and my indicator is in Neutral when in Drive. It sucks, but I have learned to live with it.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:39 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1987 B250 questions

Adam,

With that many problems with the tranny, you're either going to get it rebuilt tranny or another good tranny dropped in. Having the tranny slipping out of park will not pass vehicle inspection requirements in my state or several others. If the tranny is the 727, you'll be able to get parts and rebuilts easily.

As for the AC, it has an old R12 system that can't be recharged. Today's AC uses R134a.

The bench seat isn't hard to add, but getting the seat blets to pass FMVSS saftey inspection would. The van has the original seat belt mounts with the braces and threads for the anchor bolts. You need the bench seat and the seat belts to do the job right.

Depending on the company that did the van conversion, you may find the bench seat anchor locks in the floor. You'll need to check this out. If they are not there, I've known others who have tourched out these from a donor van and brace welded them to their van. You'll only need four btw.

Quick Reply: 1987 B250 questions