Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

How Do I Change Headlight Bulbs Ram VAN 1500?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 06:43 PM
vegasbeach
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do I Change Headlight Bulbs Ram VAN 1500?

Hello,

How do I access the headlight bulbs in a 99 ram van? (1500)
The area is very tight and I can't get my hands in the passenger side.
The driver side is somewhat blocked by the battery tray.

Any suggestions?

Old 11-17-2007, 07:27 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts
Default RE: How Do I Change Headlight Bulbs Ram VAN 1500?

You have to remove the headlight assembly. Pull up those two brackets up top that are above the aiming screws and the assembly will pull forward.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:34 PM
vegasbeach

Pull up those two brackets up top that are above the aiming screws and the assembly will pull forward.
Will I need to remove the aiming screws or can I simply lift the top brackets?

Old 11-17-2007, 07:40 PM
vegasbeach

Hi Alloro,
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I see. just went out to try it. Works like a charm. Thanks for the help.

Any idea what will make those plastic lenses clean up without harming them?

Old 11-17-2007, 09:21 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

I wetsand them into a whitish lather with 1000 then 1500 then 2000 grit (rinsing and wiping in-between.) After that, Iwash them with soap and water, then buff them with polishing compound.They end uplooking crystal clearjust like when they werenew. If they still look a bit hazy to you (due to sanding scratches)after that, theres a product called GlassX available at most any auto parts store that willwork as a clear filler, giving youa smooth protective coating.

BTW, the reason they dull in the first place is due to the wax applied during a car wash. If you work at it, you can actually scratch through that wax coating with your fingernail and see the nice clear plastic underneath. The wetsanding and buffing is really doing nothing more than removing this wax coating by using abrasives.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:25 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Er wait sorry, that product is called PlastX not GlassX and is made specifically to coat plastics.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:08 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oooooh, the work that I went through to clean up a set on a 1984 Dodge Caravan and a 1992 Plymouth Acclaim lenses over the years.

The acrylic lenses tend to get dull or worse yet, craze and peel! If you don't have the money to replace the OEM factory ones as "new" or find a bone yard to salvage some (which could be in the same condition), try the steps I had taken.

Supplies-
Rub-out compound
Very fine wet sanding paper
Very EXTRA fine wet sanding paper
A hose with a garden shower attachment
Dawn dish soap
A good size bucket
A good thick soft sponge or cleaning soft cloth

1- Wash the lenses using a soft clean thick sponge or soft clean woven fabric with mild dish liquid. Dawn original formula dish soap works best I’ve found.
2- Rinse thoroughly.
3- Add clean water to your good size bucket.
4- Apply a thin layer of the rub-out compound over the damaged area of the lens.
5- Before the rub-out dries, dampen the lens and rub-out compound lightly with water.
6- Take the fine wet sanding paper and dunk into the clean water bucket.
7- Take the fine wet sanding paper, easily with care, sand in horizontal ONLY back and forth strokes. AVOID circular or vertical strokes. Horizontal works best to maintain the lens optics.
8- As you stroke horizontally, let the hose shower water lightly over the lens at the same time. (Remember, you are sanding off a skin layer of the acrylic lens)
9- If the bad crazed layers are removed or the dullness is now gone, use the EXTRA fine wet sanding paper, still horizontally, to remove any of the regular fine sanding paper’s grooves on the lens.
10- Rinse, dry and clean again with the dish soap and rinse again.
11- Repeat steps 6-10 if more work needs to be done.

I’ve successfully restored four acrylic lenses this way. You will need to get a feel on how much pressure is needed with the wet sanding paper. Start off lightly as you apply pressure. Sure, it will take a little longer, but it prevents gouges or deep grooves in the lens.

I would recommend that the lenses be removed from the vehicle first and all the wires and bulbs removed too. This way the inside of the lenses can be cleaned with a mild soap solution and water/soap solution shaken around inside of it.

NOTICE:
NEVER use ammonia, bleach, or any citric acid products on vehicle acrylic lenses. This is what causes the majority of the problems.

Normal vehicle lens cleaning advice:
Use only approved PLEXIGLAS cleaners to clean the lenses. Do NOT use glass or household cleaners which may CONTAIN alcohol or ammonia. Severe crazing or cracking or dulling may occur. Wash using a mild soap or non abrasive detergent with warm water. Use a soft, clean woven fabric or sponge cloth while avoiding any pressure. Rinse fabric or sponge thoroughly with clean water and gently wipe surfaces dry. Do not rub on the surface.

This is the only method I’ve found that works. If someone has a BETTER method, please post it here as well.

Alloro, I'll need to try the PlastX too.

Most of the time these lenses go bad is due to using an ammonia cleaner that crazes the acrylic skin layer. Other enviroment things like road salt, glycol and the like can do the same thing too.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:33 AM
vegasbeach

Alloro, Stev;
Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated. Gonna give it a go tomorrow.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:56 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, do the old lenses look any better now?

Quick Reply: How Do I Change Headlight Bulbs Ram VAN 1500?