Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Dan Sullivan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice needed

hi there
i have a dodge magnum van 1996 coming with the 5.2 litre engine
can someone advise what these can tow and what they are plated at towing wise
i am praying its more than 3500kgs
cant wait to pick her up tomorrow
thanks
dan sullivan
england

Old 01-03-2008, 08:19 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: advice needed

Dan,

A few more questions and we should know the answer.

Is the van a B1500, B2500 or a B3500 series?

If a B2500 or B3500 series, do the wheels have 5-lugs or 8-lugs?

Do you know is the rear gears are 3.55 or 3.92?

Knowing that the van is pre-2000, it will not have a tranny cooler. You will need to have an aftermartket one installed for towing.

The 1996 is pre-1998 frame and will not ever reach that tow rating.

As for reaching the towing weight limit of 3500kgs (7600lbs) Timbrenthat's not possible with that early year van. Starting in 1998 and newer vans with the B2500 and B3500 series with 8-lug wheels, it's very possible. The van will also require the 3.92:1 axle ratio (rear gearing). You will still need to add a Road Master Active Suspenstion Kit to the rear springs and a Timbren kit to the front. This should give the 1998 and newer van the ability to tow a little more than the 3500kgs (7600lbs).

In my signature, my Ram Van/Wagon meets all of the requirements you're looking for. Mine is rated for 3901kgs (8600lbs) after the added kits mentioned were installed.

On a good day driving on the highway without heavy traffic, this van will get 16mpg. It's nothing to write home about since the Sprinter gets around 24~27. Although the Sprinter fails very short on the towing requirements. [&:]

Hope this helps some. Much of my information is based on the Chrysler owners towing manual, RV.net ratings and calculating the drop distance with weight once the suspension kits were added. Some tow ratings for the 1998+ Ram Vans list the max towing at 8800lbs without the kits. I find this alarming since I have placed a heavy loaded trailer reaching the 8000lbs limit and seen the rear sag very low to the ground while the leaf springs nearly flattened. Therefore, the kits added the much improved load rating.

If you do get any vehicle for your towing of that load, get the Road Master Active Suspension kit in the heavy duty range. Don't wimp out on the standard duty kit. There are European dealers for this kit as well.

Peace!

Stev

Quick Reply: advice needed