Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

86 B250 Ram Van Ignition Switch problems!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:34 AM
86RamVanMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 B250 Ram Van Ignition Switch problems!

Hi all! I’m having a problem with my 1986 B250 Cargo Ram Van. I don’t run the van everyday but start and drive it once a week. I put the key in the ignition switch to start; it was really cold that day (about 28deg). The switch was really stiff. The engine started cranking but didn’t start. On my next attempt to start the van, when I turned the key to the start position, everything powered off. There was no power at all to anything. The battery is new. I went out about 20 minutes later and the interior lights were back on and everything had power. When I attempted to start the power cut out again. The power comes back and cuts out every time I attempt to start, even in warmer weather. I think it has a bad ignition switch. I pulled the steering wheel to access the switch but only got as far as the turn signal switch. It appears there is a special way to access the ignition switch. I pulled up on the housing and it feels like there is a spring holding it in place. Am I correct in assuming the ignition switch is bad, and can anyone give me some advice as how to remove the ignition switch?

1986 B250 Ram Van (Cargo)
Does not have cruise control
Does not have Tilt Wheel

Thanks, Kenny

Old 01-14-2008, 11:46 AM
jdl
Default RE: 86 B250 Ram Van Ignition Switch problems!

I would start testing at the starter relay under the hood. You can check whether or not there is a signal from the ignition switch. You can also crank the starter from there, just to check the starter circuit. If you try any of this, make sure the tranny is in park or neutral and the e-brake is set, block the wheels. If you crank the vehicle and the tranny is in gear, the vehicle will move. You don't want that.

If your sure it is the switch, go to autozone.com and click on (vehicle repair guides) follow the links. It has all kinds of information. It will tell you how to remove the ignition switch. You can probably read it faster than I can type.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:47 PM
86RamVanMan

The Inition switch is def bad. I pulled the steering wheel and signal switch and all the hardware. Does anyone know the trick to getting the bearing housing off to access the switch? It will not pull off of the steering wheel shaft. It feels like it is hung up on a spring. Could this be the bearing inner race stuck to the shaft?

Old 02-03-2008, 12:05 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

The ignition switch is not in the column. There is a linkage rod that runs from the key switch down the column to the electrical part of the switch. The electrical part of the switch is mounted on the base of the column near the driver's feet.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:33 AM
86RamVanMan

The ignition switch isin the column for this 1986 model, just under the bearing housing. I'm having problems removing the bearing housing from the steering wheel shaft. Has anyone ever removed one of these?

Old 02-04-2008, 12:57 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

There is a strong spring behind that bearing. You'll have to press down hard (a second pair of hands here is very helpful) and then you should see a small retaining ring around the steering shaft. This ring has to come off in order to remove the bearing.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Standard Columns
[*]
Remove the steering wheel. [*]
Remove the turn signal switch. [*]
Remove the retaining screw and lift the ignition lock cylinder lamp out of the way. [*]
Remove the bearing housing. [*]
Remove the coil spring. [*]
Remove the lock plate from the shaft. [*]
Remove the 2 retaining screws and lift the lock lever guide plate to expose the lock cylinder release hole. [*]
Insert the key and place the lock cylinder in the LOCK position. Remove the key. [*]
Insert a thin punch into the lock cylinder release hole and push inward to release the spring-loaded lock retainer. At the same time, pull the lock cylinder out of the column. [*]
Remove the 3 retaining screws and lift out the ignition switch. [/ol]
To install:
[*]
Position the ignition switch in the center detent position (OFF). [*]
Place the shift lever in PARK. [*]
Feed the wires down through the space between the housing and jacket. Position the switch in the housing and install the 3 retaining screws. [*]
Place the lock cylinder in the LOCK position and press it into place in the column. It will snap into position. [*]
The remainder of assembly is the reverse of disassembly. [/ol]
Tilt Columns
[*]
Remove the steering wheel. [*]
Remove the tilt lever and turn signal lever. [*]
If equipped, remove the turn signal lever. [*]
Remove the turn signal switch. [*]
Using the key, place the lock cylinder in the LOCK position. Remove the key. [*]
Insert a thin punch in the slot next to the switch mounting screw boss and depress the spring latch at the bottom of the slot. Hold the spring latch depressed and pull the lock cylinder out of the column. [*]
Place the ignition switch in the ACCESSORY position and remove the mounting screws. Lift off the switch. The ACCESSORY position is the one opposite the spring-loaded end position. [/ol]
To install:
[*]
First, install the lock cylinder. Place the cylinder in the LOCK position and push it into the housing. It will snap into place. [*]
Rotate the lock cylinder to the ACCESSORY position. [*]
Fit the actuator rod in the slider hole and position the switch on the column. Insert the mounting screws, but don't tighten them yet. [*]
Push the switch gently down the column to remove all lash from the actuator rod. Tighten the mounting screws. Make sure that you didn't take the switch out of the ACCESSORY detent! [*]
The remainder of installation is the reverse of removal.[/ol]

Old 02-04-2008, 01:00 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

This might help, it's an exploded diagram of your column near the bottom of the page. Click the image for a larger view.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

Old 01-09-2011, 06:39 PM
toracat
Default the link for the exploded view from autozone says it doesnt exist,

i am having a problem replacing my ignition switch as well, the link to autozones exploded view says it doesnt exist, when i went through autozones page for a explination it said remove, steering wheel , remove turn signal assembly, it says remove it doesnt explain how

Old 01-09-2011, 07:00 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Quick Reply: 86 B250 Ram Van Ignition Switch problems!