Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Engine Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:38 PM
markoman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Compatibility

I amlooking to buy a rebuilt 318long blockto replace the engine inmy 1988 B250 Dodge Van.

The engine I am considering displays an engine number of 2B416994 stamped on the lower Right side of the block just above the oil pan mounting. Thisis consistent with the display indicated for 1985-88 V6 & V8 engines in Figure 7 on page 1-18 ofmy Chiltonrepair manual for 1967-88 Full-size Vans.

Here is the issue I am confronted with: I amtold the engine I have looked at is a 1968-74 model. However, thatis inconsistent with the Chilton's manual--which displays and states in Figure 6 on page 1-17 that engine numbers for 1967-84 V8's are located on the Left front of the block below the cylinder head This engine does not have a number in that location.

Cananyone advise whether this engine is the 1985-88 series 318 asthe Chilton'smanual suggests?

I have not measured dimensions, location of motor mounts or head design--but it all looks very similar to the stripped down block in my van.

If not; where can I find out what year it was produced and whetherit is compatible with this installation?

I appreciate any help of leads anyone can provide. I have not had any success talking with places like dealers or repair shops on this topic.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:47 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts
Default RE: Engine Compatibility

One of, if not the best history write-ups I've seen on the 318 is on this page about half way down.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/318.html

A couple of sections past the 318 section look (or search) for "Identifying LA Series V-8 engines and parts interchange". Although engine numbers are not listed, there is a pretty good description of the differences between the different versions. There might be enough there to give you some clues.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:41 AM
markoman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine Compatibility

Cool--I'll look it over. Thanks much!

Quick Reply: Engine Compatibility