Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Intermittent Charging Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008 | 11:03 AM
sdiddy
Default Intermittent Charging Problem

Hi All,

I'm having a strange electrical problem. My van is a 1994 B250 with a 6 cylinder. The voltage gage is moving around and I get the check engine lite with a code of 41. That means a low voltage condition (< 11.75v) has occurred. The alternator was checked and it is ok. I cleaned all the contacts on the alternator. I also replaced the drivebelt tensioner and still have the same problem.

The voltage gage starts out at 15 volts, but then as I drive, it starts fluctuating untill it is below the 11.75 volt threshold and the check engine lite turns on. Anyone have any clues as to what I should check next?

I started to suspect an overheating alternator, but the van was in a parking lot all day in 40 degree weather, yesterday. I started the van and it showed a low voltage on the charging gage.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Old 03-08-2008 | 07:44 PM
sdiddy
Default RE: Intermittent Charging Problem

Well, it turned out to be the alternator all along. I took the alternator to a rebuilding shop. The shop rebuilt the alternator in about 4 hours and charged me $90, which was cheaper than buying a new one from AutoZone.

I got a false positive from the AutoZone tester, probably because they only go up to 300RPM and the alternator shop can put a much larger load on the alternator.

So, the van is running again...

Quick Reply: Intermittent Charging Problem