Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Need help on after market tach install

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 07:49 AM
DaDodge
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on after market tach install

I want to install a tach on my 2001 B2500 5.2. Problem is which wire off the "coil" or what ever you call that thing do you splice into?? Secondly, on my van the "coil" is mounted down low, guranteed to get wet real bad. So, I sure don't want to splice in there even if I knew which one tosplice. Can anyone help or offer suggestions? Also, where is the best place to pull juice for the tach light?? Thanks

Old 07-05-2008, 11:50 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Default RE: Need help on after market tach install

Pull the plug off the coil, turn your ignition on, and see which of the 2 coil wires has power. The one WITHOUT power is the one you want for the tach. Follow the wire up the engine and splice in up as high as you can.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:05 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Oops forgot about the tach light. Pull out your radio and probe the connector for a wire that goes on, off, and dimswith the dash lights. I'm not positive but I believe it's a tan wire.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:53 PM
IGadget
Professional

For the light another option is any of the backlight wires for the heater control or the headlight switch. Not the wires from the switch, but the one for the backlight if a 2001 has that option. That may be easier to locate than the correct pin on the radio.

All of the dash lights are on one circiut. Safety Feature: Dashboard lights and marker lights, share the same fuse, if your dash board lights fail, then you may not have markers either.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:14 PM
DaDodge
Amateur

Thanks for your help. I hooked the tach off the cigar lighter circuit. Haven't got the lite part hooked up yet. I really hate splicing into wires. I swapped out the tach and got one reads off the coil wire that feeds to the distributor. Then, as luck would have it, that "new" tach wouldn't calibrate, i.e. it was bad. So, had to go back and swap it for one that works. So, we are now up and running. Interesting note ona equus tach model 8068, if the needle is pointing at the letters rpm, it is probably bad, they are real easy to test before you leave your freindly O'reilly's, just calibrate it to your correct number of cylinders. Again guys thanks for all your help.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:21 AM
carisu
Rookie
Default Tachometer Signal wire

I'm finally getting around to adding a tach to my '95 Ram van with the 5.2. I have the same 6086 Equus tach as you DaDodge. I'm still a little uncertain as to where you "spliced" into your coil wire. Did you splice your green (signal) wire from the tach. into something or did you use an induction style signal pick-up? Pictures would be great! Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Need help on after market tach install