Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Water Puddle

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:26 PM
lanesharon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water Puddle

2000 Ram Van 1500

I have a black box on the passenger side of the engine, marked Auxiliary Air. there is a large weep hole at the bottom of this black box and for the last two days it has been constantly dripping water when I drive the van.

I am using the van to move out of a house and have recently fully loaded the inside with LOTS of stuff. So, I jacked up the air shocks to 75. Not sure if that kind of knocked something off balance.

I have also noticed some minor condensation on the aluminum Air Conditioning lines, and yet I have the heat turned on in the van.

The water dripping is causing some very large puddles when I park the van. But, I am sure it is just water, because I have put my hand below it and caught several drops. No antifreeze involved. No freon involved.

I am heading across the country and am very concerned about this. Hoping it is not something serious. Any suggestions?

Old 09-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Though you are using the heater somehow you have the AC compressor running as well. If you are using mostly the Defrost setting then that will cause the AC system to cycle which it is designed to help pull out the moisture from the air (dry the air) being circulated into the van. If the Directional controler is turned all the way to the left or next two up then the AC is turned on.

Since you said the auxiliary air box is the one with the water coming out that system controler may have the AC activated.

Just find which switch it is that is activating the AC and if not needed just turn it off or to the desired operation.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:44 AM
lanesharon
Professional

I have the heater selector all the way to the heat area (foot and dash) and the heat indicator all the way up on the red. I believe you are right, but I wonder if there is some type of door that is not functioning right because sometimes hear a sound of a metal door sticking when I turn it on. Is that a possibility?

Old 09-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

The door issue is something different. As long as the directional controler will allow selection of the different air outlets then that system is working. The metal noise may be that one of the felt pads on the doors is missing and allowing it to make noise as it changes position.

Does this van have Rear Air? If so check all of the controls to it. Something is calling for AC when you are not wanting it on. It may be the AC relay is stuck and needs replaced (located in the PDC).

Now as long as the AC system is functional and filled (which it seems to be) there is no problem with it running.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:17 AM
lanesharon
Professional

K. I do have rear air, but that is turned off. I agree that something may be electronically stuck. I have been thinking about looking through the fuse box and seeing if I can find an A/C dedicated fuse to pull until it get to a warmer climate and start using the air.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

The fuse and relay are in the PDC (Power Distribution Center) under the hood on top of or near the radiator. Just open the box top and look for which one is the AC Relay and pull it out. Might put it in the glove box intil needed again. The fuse there controls other things so I would not recommend pulling it out.

On my van the fuse also controls the starter relay and back up lamps.

Kenny

Old 09-27-2008, 12:23 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Mobile is right, as long as the A/C compressor is running, the system will pull moisture out of the air. It's designed this way to help keeps the windows from fogging up on the inside during the winter months and the rainy season. I think only when using the "floor only" or the "vent only" selections does the compressor NOT run. The floor/vent combo selection that you're using does turn on the compressor.

Quick Reply: Water Puddle