Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Fuel Pump Access

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:35 PM
banner1124
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Access

Hi all. I have a 1995 Dodge B2500 and I'm going to need to have the fuel pump replaced. I've done one before so I know what kind of a pain it is dropping the tank. I was wondering, has anyone out there created an access door so that the pump assembly could be accessed from inside the van? What I'm thinking of is basically a hole throught the floor that you could put like a hinged door onto so that the pump can be accessed without dropping the tank. Has anyone done something like this? If so I'd like to know how difficult it was and what is needed to do it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There has been talk of it. It is recommended that for the cutting of the hole that the tank is dropped so you do not cut the tank while cutting the floor. Not much clearance between the floor and top of the tank.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Originally Posted by banner1124
Hi all. I have a 1995 Dodge B2500 and I'm going to need to have the fuel pump replaced. I've done one before so I know what kind of a pain it is dropping the tank. I was wondering, has anyone out there created an access door so that the pump assembly could be accessed from inside the van? What I'm thinking of is basically a hole throught the floor that you could put like a hinged door onto so that the pump can be accessed without dropping the tank. Has anyone done something like this? If so I'd like to know how difficult it was and what is needed to do it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I posted about this very subject just a few weeks ago, chastising Dodge specifically for not creating floor access to allow easy fuel pump changes. It seems every van needs one pump change in it's lifetime.

My opinion is that your van better be in excellent condition and also one that you plan to keep for many years before tackling such a modification. This will be a lot of work and you may have problems creating a "hatch" that seals well against water after the fact.

You could also be creating an area prone to rusting which did not previously exist. You have to ask yourself how many more times will the pump need changing while you own the van - my guess is probably zero.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Rusty93RamVan
You have to ask yourself how many more times will the pump need changing while you own the van - my guess is probably zero.
Depends on which pump he buys. After market, possible several times. Dodge OEM, most likely never again.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Originally Posted by Mobile Auto Repair
Depends on which pump he buys. After market, possible several times. Dodge OEM, most likely never again.
Yup, always use an OEM Carter pump. Available from $tealership or from a professional parts supply outfit like The Pierce Company in Upland Indiana.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:57 AM
banner1124
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all of you guys for the replies. Your input is greatly appreciated. Just thought I'd update you on my situation. I eventually decided that it was not worth making the mod, and in fact that it was not worth tackling the whole fuel pump issue again. The fact that I'd changed the pump myself once was the main driver behind not wanting to have to go through that again. Anyway, I just sold the van and bought myself a '99 dodge B1500... best move I could have made. This '99 is unbelievable!

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Access