Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Conversion Van, no start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:10 AM
Roaddog710
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversion Van, no start?

I'm new here, and after looking over the web this looked like the best place to seek help. Thank you in advance.

I have a 1996 B2500 Dodge Conversion van, with a 2.2 318 v8 & 4 speed trans.

The van was running beautifully and was parked in December, now I have tried to start the van it will not run. The engine turns over, but no fire. There is no fuel or spark, no engine light. I tried reading the codes from the van but there are no codes. I checked the fuel pump and asd relays,they are working fine, but there does sound like a click from the fuse box. I put a little gas in the throttle body, and nothing. Then I found there was no spark. I replace cap wire and rotor, coil, cam position sensor and the oil sensor works fine. I have yet to replace the Crank Sensor. My concern is that this is a problem with the ecu, so I dont want to go on replacing parts.

I'm wondering if the Crank position sensor was not functioning properly would it tell the ecu not to pump fuel?, or trip the asd without blowing the relay switch? If the asd was triped would the van not pump fuel? And why would I not have a check engine light?

Thank you so much in advance for your help...

Old 02-22-2009, 01:25 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

With no spark and minus what you've already replaced; you most likely problems are the crank sensor (which doesn't throw a code), the ASD relay isn't making contact, or the PCM (ecu) is bad.

When you say there's no fuel, do you mean you checked for fuel pressure at the fuel rail and there isn't any?

Old 02-23-2009, 06:17 AM
Roaddog710

I didn't check for pressure, I do not have the tool. Im just not smelling any fuel with the air filter off... all though it is fuel injected... I'm not 100% sure there is no fuel, but once I found the spark problem I started chasing that first... I do not hear the pump kicking on from inside the cab, but I did read on this forum that these vans are quieter... I was gong to have someone crank it for me while I listen through the fill pipe, but didnt get anyone out there with me this weekend. I'm gong to throw the cks in there today and see what happens...

I still have feeling it is the ecu, or possibly as it sat this winter a critter messed with some wiring that missed on my initial inspection...

I also read on hear how to check for pressure at the injection line with out a tool, so I will give that a try too...

Great forum with a lot of information...

Old 02-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Roaddog710

It was the ECU, PCM, what ever you want to call it, the computer. Popped in a new one and it started right up.

Quick Reply: Conversion Van, no start?