Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Crank Shaft Position Sensor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 02:30 AM
James Engle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Shaft Position Sensor Problem

Hello,new to this forum & enjoying the info. I have a 92 Dodge B250 Van 318 w/automatic tranny. My engine would not run due to a wire break going into the CPS. I could move this wire a certain way & it would run great. I purchased a new one at Napa first the cheap one then later the more expensive one thinking it would help. Everytime I installed one of the new CPS in my engine, it would run but missed realy bad. I can loosen the 2 bolts slightly while running & the engine would run very erratic. I temporarly rigged my old one to a point where I got a good connection & reinstalled this one & it runs good but i don't think this wire will stay in place while driving. Could I be getting 2 CPS with bad tolerences or is there some type of adjustment to the new ones? I did notice only moving these slightly causes all kinds of reactions. The only difference in my old one & the 2 I purchased is my old one has a small metal pickup visable on the bottom & the new ones don't. The sales person said that didn't matter. Is this metal pickup beneath the plastic? I'm sorry for such a long request but I have always done my own work & this is causing me to loose sleep.Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Jim

Old 03-21-2009, 08:39 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by James Engle
Could I be getting 2 CPS with bad tolerances or is there some type of adjustment to the new ones?
Since the engine runs good with your original CPS but not so good with the replacement CPSs then I would have to say the replacement CPSs are not up to factory specs. What is the manufacturer names of the replacement CPSs, and are they both from the same manufacturer? Also, no, there is no mechanical adjustment for the CPS.

One thing you could try with one of the new CPSs is to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, then go and take a 10-20 drive. The computer uses basic information to run the engine until it learns how to control the sensors based on your driving habits. Disconnecting the battery wipes out the learned programming. The computer could be trying to run the engine based on the learned programming using the original CPS and that might not be the same for the new CPS.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:02 AM
James Engle

Hello Alloro,Thanks for the reply. I will try that today. That makes since because I replaced some tranny sensors on our Jeep a few years ago & had to have them reprogramed. My first CPS was the cheaper one MPECSS625SB, the other one ECHLINCSS625 both from NAPA. The first was $42.49 & the other $86.53. Again thanks & I will keep you posted.
Jim

Old 03-21-2009, 07:48 PM
James Engle

Well Alloro that was it. I appreciate the response & I hope someone else benifits as well. Thanks & have a good weekend.
Jim

Old 03-21-2009, 10:27 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

What was it, disconnecting the battery and taking it for a drive?

Old 03-22-2009, 12:16 PM
James Engle

Disconnecting the battery took care of it. I'm glad because I don't think I could have kept it running long enough to drive it. I had a 99 Ford Tauras Wagon years ago & just simply tuned it up & had to disconnect the battery & drive it for at least 5-10 miles according to the dealer before it was ok, but it worked. The engine just slowly came around. This van is my work truck & it has been a work horse. I had an 88 & this 92. The 88 had 325k on it when I junked it. This 92 has 345k on it but with a second engine. I don't think they make them like this any more. Again Thanks & have a good week.
Jim

Quick Reply: Crank Shaft Position Sensor Problem