Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1989 Dodge B250 stalling

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Mr.4000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Dodge B250 stalling

I have had this van for some time now and this problem started over the past couple of years. It 318 tbi motor. Sometimes while driving the van will cut off and start back up. I notice it stalls a lot more when I am braking or when I have come to a stop. It rarely does it while idling. I also notice that I don't really have that problem when its cold outside. I have changed the fuel pump, filter,spark plugs and wires, and the coil. It will drive fine for a while then it starts back. Sometimes it will crank right up after stalling and other times it may take a couple of minutes. I plan on building a new motor but I have to drive it for now until I can purchase everything. I hope someone can help me.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:29 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to DF again! Ill move this thread over to the Ram Van Section for better input for you! Good luck!

Old 04-05-2009, 01:54 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

You replaced the cap and rotor?
Replaced the pickup coil inside the distributor?
Checked for vacuum leaks?
Tested the TPS for any dead spots?
Replaced the 2-wire coolant temperature sensor?

Old 04-05-2009, 03:35 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my '89 318 TBI started stalling like this during a x country journey, it was the egr valve. I replaced it for a fix in an Autozone parking lot in Farmington NM, but with hindsight might just have been able to clean it out and make sure it was opening and closing properly.

Check to see if the pintle is moving inside it after playing with the throttle with the engine running.

Later I found that the Solenoid that controls the vaccuum that actuates the egr valve was bad and might have been the reason that is got stuck open.

In addition to the possibilities listed in Alloro's post, our vans also have an idle speed actuator motor. I once had a loose connection here that caused intermittant stalling.

Quick Reply: 1989 Dodge B250 stalling