Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Introducing the newest member to DF...Blue VanGogh

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 02:23 AM
Blue Vangogh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Introducing the newest member to DF...Blue VanGogh

Hello fellow Dodge owners, especially RAM Van owners.
I come from San Diego, and my Dodge is a 1992 RAM 250 Custom Conversion Van. My name is not important, here anyways.
Having introduced myself, let me get right to the reason I joined this sight.

I have two issues. First, the speedo works good, BUT the odo/trip are non-op. Second, the gas gage is not working either. This makes it very hard to calculate when to fill up. Lots of guess work, but so far, haven't run dry yet.

I have read a few things about the odo problem, though none yet have given me a decent answer, other than to just replace the unit. I hate to replace if I can fix it myself. So with that being said, I am open to ALL input regarding this problem, as well as any "this is what I did to fix it" ideas.

Ok, now the gas gage issue. It sits on E even when full, only bouncing slightly over bumps in the road. I figure that when it quits bouncing, I am out of gas. Hasn't happened so far...WHEW. I would like to hear solutions/stories concerning this matter that do not require me to remove the tank to get the unit out for repair/replacement. If this is the only solution, so be it. However, I am sure you guys have some help for me.

Thank you for reading my thread. God Bless You All

Blue VanGogh

Old 05-26-2009, 09:58 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Hi and welcome. The gas gauge issue is most likely the sending unit in the tank. Dropping the tank is really the only way to replace it. The odometer problem is usually due to a plastic gear inside the unit that has one or more teeth missing from it. Read this thread for the information about it. More specifically posts 8 & 10.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...-35-fault.html

Old 05-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Blue Vangogh

Thank You. That is exactly what I found yesterday when I very carefully dismantled the entire speedo unit. $28 to replace it, but...as I inspected the gears, I found the three teeth missing, and entertain the idea of superglueing them back on. What do you think about the repair idea?

Old 05-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Leeann
Rookie

I'd say you're going to be doing that 'repair' more than once. The reason the teeth have broken off the gear is that the plasticizer has left the gear, rendering it brittle. I guarantee it won't last long before you have to do it again.

When I removed my gear, I dropped it 2" onto a cookie sheet and 2 more teeth came off. Curious, I dropped it again from the same height. This time 3 teeth broke off. Took about 3 more drops to strip the gear entirely.

Quick Reply: Introducing the newest member to DF...Blue VanGogh