Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Just dies while driving, then "no bUS" and engine light

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:35 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by markaylasdad
Does this van have a cam sensor?
Yes, inside the distributor, sometimes it's called a pick-up coil.

A NO BUSS message means there's been a loss of communication between the ECM and the dash cluster. For 99.99% of these situations, the problem is either a bad ECM, a bad cluster, or a problem with the wiring between the ECM and the cluster. A bad cluster won't cause stalling. If the ECM has been replaced then you're down to a wiring issue.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:05 PM
markaylasdad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dead ram

Thx for the input. I found a ground strap from the engine to the firewall that was not secure,and had hoped that was it but no cigar! I will take a hemostat and jiggle wires one by one at the plugs. If anyone has any other ideas , please post as soon as possible. I am SERIOUSLY FRUSTRATED.....lol

Old 09-08-2020, 01:25 PM
Trevor Wray

Originally Posted by BoxcarNY
I have the same problem -- it causes my engine to stall while driving. It happens randomly once the engine reaches peak operating temp. I usually get it going again by pushing down on the third cluster plug on the PCM located (what a great design idea!?!?) right above the hot engine. Sometimes I have to wait till the temp drops a little. I turn the key to RUN position then push down or wiggle the cluster plug until I hear the rely click in the fuse box. Then it usually starts. I cannot seem to figure out if it's a bad connection on the plug (seems like a hundred wires!) or in the receptacle on the PCM. Sometimes it won't happen for a day or two but it always dies when I hit slow traffic. I've cleaned the contacts on both sides with no change.
Another marveous MOPAR design flaw.

I have the treatment but not the cure.

Does anyone have a definative cure for this?
. Did you ever figure out the cure for this? I have the EXACT same problem. When I push down on the last plug, I hear the relay and it starts right up. It's either bad wiring or a bad pcm but I opened up the plug and it looks good and the pcm receptacle also looks good. Stumped.

Old 09-08-2020, 03:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Probably bad solder joints in the PCM.......

Old 11-01-2022, 06:14 PM
Sam_On_Maui

Hi any solution to the PCM problem? I've had two replacements put in w internal solder joints checked. still randomly dies.
Any suggestions? Did you find a wiring fault?
Thanks

Old 11-02-2022, 03:00 PM
pcdarks
Amateur
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a mysterious stall problem this summer. Long story short it turned out to be slight corrosion in the connector of the cam timing sensor. I cleaned up the connection and it went away. These vans are getting old enough that a little corrosion will start to show up. I'm going to open all of the connectors to vital components and clean them then apply Dielectric grease to block and future corrosion.

Quick Reply: Just dies while driving, then "no bUS" and engine light