Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Fuel pump and coil just quit??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:45 AM
droptines
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what I came up with from looking at the schematic.

The dark blue and the blue/w wires are the wires for the relay coil.
The red wire is the input source wire and the green wire is the output .
Same config for both relays.

The red wire comes from the power distribution center that that is supplied from the + side of the battery. So the red wire should not be grounded. And thats what I'm getting red wire grounded key on or off.
Not sure why the red wire woulb be grounded, unless it is just a dead short to something. But then I should find a blown maxi or something. Do you still think it might be the ignition switch?

Old 08-31-2009, 01:55 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by droptines
Key Off
ASD relay
red wire=ground
dark blue wire=ground
blue/w wire=ground

Key on
ASD relay
red wire=ground
dark blue wire=12vdc
blue/w wire=12vdc

Key Off
Fuel Pump relay
red wire=ground
dark blue wire=ground
blue/w wire=ground

key on
fuel pump relay
red wire=ground
dark blue wire=12vdc
blue/w=12vdc
You're missing a wire on each relay, there should be 4 for each and you only list 3 wires each.

The red wire should be +12v all the time even with the key off. The dark blue wire should be +12v when the key is in the start or run positions. The blue/white (some models its blue/yellow) should be ground when the key is in the start or run positions. The 4th ASD wire should be dark green/orange and should be +12v when the key is in the start or run positions. The 4th fuel pump relay wire should be dark green black and should be +12v when the key is in the start or run positions.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:02 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Not sure why the red wire would be grounded, unless it is just a dead short to something. But then I should find a blown maxi or something.
The red wire only appears to be grounded. What's actually happening is you're getting continuity through a component on that circuit to ground. So the current is flowing from the +12v through your meter, through the red wire, through some component on the circuit, and onto ground.

It looks like you've overlooked a blown fuse, or that large black connector that comes off the battery's positive terminal is corroded inside.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:08 AM
droptines

Originally Posted by alloro
You're missing a wire on each relay, there should be 4 for each and you only list 3 wires each.

The red wire should be +12v all the time even with the key off. The dark blue wire should be +12v when the key is in the start or run positions. The blue/white (some models its blue/yellow) should be ground when the key is in the start or run positions. The 4th ASD wire should be dark green/orange and should be +12v when the key is in the start or run positions. The 4th fuel pump relay wire should be dark green black and should be +12v when the key is in the start or run positions.
I did not list the fourth, at the time I thought it was just a true ground. Because no matter what position the switch is in the green wire is ground. Same as the red wire, always ground. I have to go back and check the blue/wh wire. I thought that It was just the opposite, key off blue/wh ground, key on blue/wh 12vdc. Second guessing myself now. 100% positive about the rest. I checked the blue/wh in a hurry, was getting dark. But still 80% sure. After looking at the schematic I know that the green/or, green/bl is the output of both relays, and they were both ground. This does not make any sense. The only thing I get 12 vdc on is the dark blue, and the blue/wh with the switch on. Any ideas?

Old 08-31-2009, 02:17 AM
droptines

The red wire only appears to be grounded. What's actually happening is you're getting continuity through a component on that circuit to ground. So the current is flowing from the +12v through your meter, through the red wire, through some component on the circuit, and onto ground.

It looks like you've overlooked a blown fuse, or that large black connector that comes off the battery's positive terminal is corroded inside.

Thats what I was starting to think (hope). I have went through everything on the van and I could not find any blown fuses or fusible links. I could not any fusible links period. I did not check the black connector. I'm going to do that tomorrow, and go through all of the fuses again. Looking at the schematic there is not much between power distribution center the input to the relays. Just a 30A maxi fuse and the black connector from the battery through the PWR DIS CNT and into the relays.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:29 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Looking at the schematic there is not much between power distribution center the input to the relays. Just a 30A maxi fuse and the black connector from the battery through the PWR DIS CNT and into the relays.
Don't overlook the splice in that wire (S105). If that splice has gone bad, it could be your point of power loss. And no, before you ask...I don't know where it is. You would have to start at the big black connector and trace the big red wire (it's a #6 gauge wire) to find S105.

Last edited by alloro; 08-31-2009 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Corrected S101 to instead read S105
Old 08-31-2009, 02:37 AM
droptines

Don't overlook the splice in that wire (S101). If that splice has gone bad, it could be your point of power loss. And no, before you ask...I don't know where it is. You would have to start at the big black connector and trace the big red wire (it's a #6 gauge wire) to find S101.

I'm looking at the schematic, and I see an S105 between the black connector and the pwr dis cntr. S101, I think comes off of the ignition switch to power the coil of the relay.

Did you mean s105?

Thanks for the help

Old 08-31-2009, 02:45 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

I know that the green/or, green/bl is the output of both relays, and they were both ground. This does not make any sense.
Take a look at the drawing below. It shows how the meter will pick up a ground through a component like the fuel pump. All that is inside the pump is a coil of wires. This is why the output of the relay is giving you a ground. Once the relay gets energized and the contacts close, that side of the fuel pump will become +12v.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:47 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Did you mean s105?
Yes I did mean S105.

Sorry, it's getting late and my eyes are starting to get blurry. Hopefully I can still make the edit up in my other post so other people won't get confused by it.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:53 AM
droptines

Take a look at the drawing below. It shows how the meter will pick up a ground through a component like the fuel pump. All that is inside the pump is a coil of wires. This is why the output of the relay is giving you a ground. Once the relay gets energized and the contacts close, that side of the fuel pump will become +12v.

I know what you mean, but I did not get a ground mearsuring across the red and green wire. Using the pos of the battery as my reference, to the red wire I got 12vdc, and pos of battery to green wire 12vdc.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump and coil just quit??????