Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Fuel pump and coil just quit??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 11:08 PM
droptines
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump and coil just quit??????

Let me introduce myself,

The name is Matt, and I'm new to the forum. I've just aquired a 1994 dodge ram van, with a 318. The van was given to me for helping out my father inlaw.

The problem, about six to eight months ago he came home from work shut the van off, and it never started again. He worked on it for awhile, and then moved it outback and bought something else.

It is not firing, and the fuel pump is not working. From troubleshooting I have not found any blown fuses, and I know that the coil does not have any voltage to it. From reading the forum I've found that some of you have had similliar problems. I've read about crank shaft postioning senors and auto shutdown relays. What do you guys with much more expertise that me think.

Thanks

Old 08-23-2009, 03:16 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the risk of being corrected by those more knowledgeable, you must start with the ASD relay. I don't know about a '94, but when my ASD relay is being a beetch, jumping the 2 fatter wires will allow the fuel pump to engage on my '89.

You should provide more detail for those more informed to be able to point an arrow at something.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:36 AM
droptines

I don't know which is the ASD relay, There are two relays under the dash by the steering colum. I've switched these two relays and there was no change. I dont have much more detail than that yet.

I'm going to get down and work on it one day these week, and see if I can find out which one is the ASD relay. And i'm also going to pull the crank shaft sensor and just see how it looks.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:47 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

landyacht318 is correct, you should be looking at your ASD/Fuel Pump relay assembly to make sure power is going in and out of it. It's not under the dash, so you're likely looking at the wrong item. Look for the 2-relay assembly under the hood, mounted to the firewall.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:59 PM
cudajim
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a 94 with a 318 but have never had the fuel pump quit. If you need to get to it however you'll need to drop the tank. I'd check the relay first!

Old 08-29-2009, 06:54 PM
droptines

Ok,

I found the asd and fuel pump relays. I pulled them and they looked to be in bad shape, both of them had water in them. I replaced both relays asd/fuel pump. And nothing changed, no voltage to the coil or fuel pump. I was short on time but I did have someone try to crank the van while I felt the relays, to see if they were picking. Niether relay was picking asd or the fuel pump. I pulled the crank sensor, it looked good. I know a bad crank sensor will cause the problem with 0volts at coil, but would that also interupt the voltage to the fuel pump? I guess so if the voltage to the ASD relay comes from the crank sensor, but I don't know if it does. I'm going to look at the schematic and see what I can find out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 08-29-2009, 07:13 PM
kev2
Veteran

ck red wire at ASD & FP relay should be hot 12v...
ck Dk Blu wire relays shoulb be 12v with key on

to confirm ck for voltage at injectors key on

looking like fusable link,or ign switch

Old 08-29-2009, 10:11 PM
droptines

thanks,

I will check those tomorrow.

I was also wondering about the ignition switch. Are you referring to the tumbler or something else? My old ford had a ignition module under the dash, does the dodge have anything like that?

Old 08-30-2009, 08:37 AM
kev2
Veteran

the lock and switch are not the same...

Old 08-30-2009, 11:46 PM
droptines

ok,

I checked the voltages at the relays and at the injectors. Here are the results.

0 volts at the injectors.

Relays:

Key Off
ASD relay
red wire=ground
dark blue wire=ground
blue/w wire=ground

Key on
ASD relay
red wire=ground
dark blue wire=12vdc
blue/w wire=12vdc

Key Off
Fuel Pump relay
red wire=ground
dark blue wire=ground
blue/w wire=ground

key on
fuel pump relay
red wire=ground
dark blue wire=12vdc
blue/w=12vdc

What do you guys think about that.
the blue wire had 12vdc with the key on, the red wire was just ground no matter what. I did check the injectors and I had 0vdc. Should the red wire be grounded? What is the ouput of the relay? From what I can tell the blue and blue/w wires are the coil, and the red wire is the input. The fourth wire on the relay is green (is this the output) and it is grounded no matter the position of the key switch. I tried to jump between the dark blue wire and the green wire, nothing happened. it seems to me that the red wire should not be a ground. What do you think?

Thanks

Last edited by droptines; 08-30-2009 at 11:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump and coil just quit??????