Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Died, won't start...I'm stumped!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:24 AM
cdnron
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The coil was not that expensive. Something like $30. Pretty quick and easy to change as well which is a blessing in this weather.

Two suggestions for checking your fuel pump. First, with radio and fan ...etc...off...turn your key to the ignition position (don't crank the engine) and you should be able to hear the fuel pump turn on. If you can enlist the help of someone it helps to have them listen for it outside near the gas tank.

Assuming that checks out OK, remove the engine cover. On the fuel rail which runs around the top of the engine there is a valve with a black plastic screw on cap. Mine is at the top left side of the engine. Under that cap it looks like a tire valve. Turn your key on again and listen for the pump to run and pressurize your fuel rail then the pump should turn off. Now...and keep your face out of the way...use a small screwdriver to momentarily push down the pin on the valve...gas should shoot out the top. Ideally, you need to put a pressure gage on this to actually check the pressure precisely...however...if you have at least some decent pressure there...I'd replace the coil first before going to all the bother to change out the fuel pump.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:32 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by moparman54
How do I test a coil before I buy a new one?
Most parts stores will test them. Bring it with you, have them test it. If it fails buy a new one and go install it. One word of warning though, the coil test is not foolproof, I have seen bad coils pass the test. The problem seems to be that the coil works when cool, but fails when it get hot.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:54 AM
moparman54
Default pump or coil

Thank you for your response. I am headed out there now to listen for the pump and have my little screwdriver for the pressure test. Also bringing wrenches for the coil, which is my guess, since it looks like it's delaminating. I'll bring it in to my nice warm garage to test it and have another cup of joe! I'll post again later.
Thanks again! Mike

Old 01-05-2010, 02:22 PM
moparman54
Default bad coil

The fuel pump sounds good and has pressure at the little tire valve. I kind of thought it wasn't the pump cause spraying the starter fluid in the throat didn't make any difference. (except my throat is really dry now)

Why does Dodge use a phillips head screw to hold a part that is surely to rust solid? (Coil) Especially where you really cant get any pressure on the screw. This made laying on the ice covered concrete that much more enjoyable. Finally after some PB and a pair of vise grips turning screws an eigth at a time all twisted up under the wheel well, I got it out and tested it. BINGO! No Good! Put the new one in and another happy ending!
Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: Died, won't start...I'm stumped!