Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Died, won't start...I'm stumped!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:20 PM
cdnron
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Died, won't start...I'm stumped!

I was driving my van (97 B2500 V6) out of my driveway and it just quit running.

No sputtering, missing, nothing...it just shut off like you turned the key off. I assumed it was something electrical. Trying to restart it will just crank and crank and crank...without a pop.

Pulled the dog house, checked voltage from coil to distributor, no problem I have 12V+ to the distributor when cranking the engine. Pulled a plug, seems to be no problem as it has good spark during it's firing sequence.

When I turn the key on you can hear the fuel pump run (I assume up to pressure) and shut off each time you try it.

When I crank the engine you can smell (at least some) gasoline at the exhaust pipe.

Since this quit on me (which I must admit was a few months ago) it has not fired even once when trying to start it again. I've also tried holding the gas pedal to the floor and cranking...still not even a pop out of it.

I'm stumped ...and open to any suggestions on what to check and try next.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:48 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Most likely it's either the crankshaft position sensor or the pick-up coil inside the distributor.

Just for ha ha's, did you try spraying starting fluid down the intake to see if it would fire up?

Old 08-25-2009, 10:02 PM
cdnron
Amateur

Originally Posted by alloro
Most likely it's either the crankshaft position sensor or the pick-up coil inside the distributor.

Just for ha ha's, did you try spraying starting fluid down the intake to see if it would fire up?
Tried the starting fluid the day it crapped out...no luck with it.

Would I still have spark if the pick up coil was bad?...or does a bad one throw your timing off somehow?

The CPS was replaced on this van less than a year ago when I was trying to sort out a "no spark" problem (turned out I had to replace the ECM that time.) So I'm less inclined to think that is the problem. I'll try the coil first once I can figure out where it is and how to get it out!

Last edited by cdnron; 08-25-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:10 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by cdnron
Would I still have spark if the pick up coil was bad?
Yes because the pickup coil controls the fuel injector timing. The crank sensor controls the spark timing. A bad crank sensor can cause no spark, but it can also cause the timing to be off, yet still produce spark. So even though you have spark, it's possible that it isn't firing at the right time. I'm not saying that's the problem, I'm just throwing out a possibility.

I find it odd that starting fluid did not cause the engine to fire up. If you indeed have spark, the engine would have run for a few seconds.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:43 AM
cdnron
Amateur

I sprayed the started fluid in he front of the air intake...maybe it didn't get all the way into he engine. I'll take the top of the air cleaner off and give it a direct shot to see what it does.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:28 AM
kev2
Veteran

IMHO
recomend you use carb or brake cleaner to sub for fuel during testing...

Starting fluid is to much boom boom kinda violent.

Start easy things first
Is the CEL if applicable Security light on?
Check spark at several plugs
check inj's for volt and pulse- noid or test light
fuel pressure ? use a gauge

Old 08-26-2009, 01:18 PM
cdnron
Amateur

CEL is not on. Checked with my code reader which also said "no stored codes."

Checked the spark at two more plugs...OK.

Fuel pressure...I don't have a gauge to fit onto the existing fitting.

I'm assuming that to test the injector's I pull one of the connectors and check it for on/off voltage as I crank the engine?

Now for the strange part. I opened the top of the air cleaner and poured about 1/4 cup of gas down her throat. Put the top back on so that any backfire would not singe off my eyebrows and cranked it over. Nothing...nada...zip. Not a pop out of it. Tried with the gas pedal to the floor again...nothing.

Pulled a plug, it was wet...and sparking when I grounded it out and cranked the engine again.

I would have at least expected a back fire or something...?

Old 08-26-2009, 02:05 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

So you have spark, but it is too weak to fire under compression. It's your coil, distributor cap, or rotor that is causing the trouble.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:30 PM
cdnron
Amateur

Originally Posted by alloro
So you have spark, but it is too weak to fire under compression. It's your coil, distributor cap, or rotor that is causing the trouble.
BINGO!

...and we have a winner!

Replaced the distributor cap and rotor...still no go...although I did get a couple of weak pops out of the engine.

Replaced the coil and as soon as I unbolted it you could see the coil plates de-laminate as the bolt compression was relieved. Still providing some "juice" just not enough under load I guess.

Put on the new one and she fired right up....

Thanks for the help

Last edited by cdnron; 08-26-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 PM
moparman54
Default happy endings

I love when a plan comes together! I hope that my 2002 ramvan 1500 has the same ending. It died a week ago with the same symptoms. Sprayed starting fulid in the air intake and nothing. Stuck a screwdriver into a pullled plug wire and held it an eight away from ground and couldn't see much of a spark. I tried a few hours later and it sputtered a bit and started. Tonight I was sitting at a light in rush hour and it died again. Hope it's not the fuel pump cause the tow truck couldn't get it up my steep driveway so it's in the neighbor's drive. Tonight's temp here will be below 0. I tried the same things and found the same results. Starting fluid: nothing. Spark at the plug wire faint. How do I test a coil before I buy a new one? I'm really hoping it's not the pump. Too cold out there to drop the tank with 20 gallons still in there.

Quick Reply: Died, won't start...I'm stumped!