Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Searching for the correct ball joint

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:46 PM
jch39
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searching for the correct ball joint

I have a 1996 Dodge 15 Passenger Van V8 5.9L and I need a new upper front ball joint. A mechanic said I have to get a Moog and he will install it. I'm looking for a cheap price, but needs to work. And obviously needs to fit. The guy told me that if it doesn't fit, he's charging me double. He also has listed that he was going to order a 4,000 lb ball joint for 150.00. So I'd like to see if I can find cheaper.

I've done some research and have found a couple different models, but K778 and K7082 have come up the most. I think they are 3600 and 4000 lbs respectively.

I read the sticker on the driver's door and it read 3600 front and 4600 rear.

I'm not sure which ball joint to buy. I need a Moog one. If anyone could help me find which ball joint to order, and where I can buy/order one for a good price, that would be great. Thanks!

Old 08-28-2009, 12:57 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,10070

$39 K778 3600 lb. axle
$71 K7082 4000 lb. axle
Plus shipping of course.

Oh and by the way, your mechanic is an a-hole. First why in the world would he charge you double if the one you get doesn't fit? It's not like he's doing the work twice. If it doesn't fit he moves on to another job while you get the right part. Also, why would he order a 4000 lb. ball joint when you have a 3600 lb. axle? The guy just sounds like a real prize. No way would someone with that kind of attitude ever lay a finger on one of my vehicles.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:21 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

" why in the world would he charge you double if the one you get doesn't fit?"

If the mechanic finds he cannot install the correct ball joint when He has the van taking up a bay up on a lift, he's either got to write off that bay till the right part comes, or put the thing back together to drive it out so he can work on something else.

He's also not making his 105% markup on the price of the part.

I have a good friend who is a service writer, and they will not warranty any work done with a new part brought in by the owner.

It sucks, but it's understandable.

He'll have a lot of fun trying to remove the old ball joint anyway.

Do new control arms come with new bushings and ball joints installed as well?

Old 08-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by landyacht318
Do new control arms come with new bushings and ball joints installed as well?
Yes, I don't have the price but I have seen them in the last few weeks. In the long run I am finding on many vehicles I work on that it is more cost effective just to replace the whole control arm. Many times the cost in less labor time makes up for the higher cost of the control arm. And you have all new bushings, a-frame, and ball joint.

Quick Reply: Searching for the correct ball joint