Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

B250 won't shift into 4th gear. Arrrrgggg

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 08:38 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Horton
Dodge says they believe the problem is in the wiring somewhere.
Church is there to give you something to "believe" in. Repair shops need to deal in facts. All of that aside, have they replaced or at least tested the VSS?

Old 09-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Horton
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will ask them to check the speed sensor. The reason he suspects wiring problems is because 2 of the wires near the speed sensor were bare, one was severed in half. The wiring under the hood has been messed with, spliced & soforth by someone else.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:37 PM
22dodge
Banned

Originally Posted by Horton
Here's the latest..........
Dodge says they believe the problem is in the wiring somewhere. The OD selenoid is working he says, but the computer does not seem to give a message to shift to 4th. As a side note the cruise only works for about 10 minutes, then drops speed, picks up speed, then shuts off after a few times of that. So my worry is replacing the computer, at what cost. Should I try to find one from the wrecking or let Dodge find a rebuilt computer? Someone before us had been messing with the wiring on this van. I'm hoping it doesn't become a nightmare.

seems the MORE diagnostic information that is found, the easier it is to pinpoint the problem. I read your stuff about wires etc. the first 'mechanic' that couldn't find the pcm to get codes is a totally useless hack. If he cant find the data link connector, he doesnt belong under any hood and should become a ditch digger, assuming he knows which end of the shovel to use.

I NEVER just throw a part at something to fix the problem until I can absolutely rest assured that the component is failed. Like VSS. I would connect my scanner and read live data (even do a recording) take a drive then look at the data to see if it dropped out. But before I just throw in another, I verify that the wiring is not the cause or a bad connection.

Hacks just toss in parts, then they end up on boards like this with "I changed all these parts and still have the same problem"

Old 09-18-2009, 10:38 PM
22dodge
Banned

duplicated

Last edited by 22dodge; 09-19-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:06 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 22dodge
Hacks just toss in parts, then they end up on boards like this with "I changed all these parts and still have the same problem"
Wow...I hope you're just having a bad night and that you're not as mean and nasty a person as you're coming across as being.

FWIW, hack mechanics just throw parts at a problem. People that come to boards like this are looking for help because they are frustrated and don't know who to turn to or trust. To some degree, I applaud those that have at least attempted to repair their own vehicles, because at least they tried before laying their problems out there for someone else to solve for them.

The bottom line is you can take the easy road and work here alongside the rest of us, or you can take the hard road and fight us every step of the way...your choice. If you chose to fight us, I assure you that you're only going to end up as frustrated as those here looking for answers.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:15 AM
22dodge
Banned

so where's your input to actually help the person.

I solved a hack job today. A van was towed in from another shop that installed new cam, new crank senors, new coil, new injectors, new oxygen sensor, new tps, and more. because it wouldn't run. I spend 5 minutes connection my Oscilliscope to see the cam/crank sensors were not in sync but no codes. Pulled the trans, new flex plate and all fixed. after 2 weeks of the customer getting jerked around by the hacks and over $1000 in parts and labor, I charged them $200 to fix it right.

I love parts changers, I make a lot of money off them. Especially if they had their car scanned at Autozone where they sell lots of un-necessarry parts.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:06 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

so where's your input to actually help the person.
Umm, post #11, for which I'm still waiting to hear back the results of.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:08 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Pulled the trans, new flex plate and all fixed.
What happened to the original flex plate to throw the cam and crank out of sync with each other?

Old 09-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Horton
Rookie

I called the Dodge garege this morning to test the VSS & make sure it was the correct part. The guy I bought it from tried to fix the speedo when it wasn't working. We can only guess what else he tried to "fix". The mecahnic that fixed it said it was a speedo gear? that was bad.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:21 PM
22dodge
Banned

awsome, sounds like you found a quality diagnostician. that problem was common on the cable driven speedometers when the cable would start to seize, the plastic trans gear would chuck teeth.

as for the flex plate issue... you can troll around and find the common failure on 3.3/3.5/3.8 chrysler products... and also an occasional failure on 2.2/2.5, 3.9, 5.2 and 5.9's they break

Quick Reply: B250 won't shift into 4th gear. Arrrrgggg