Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Cracked Engine head

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 01:42 PM
Honey Wagon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Engine head

Hey everybody, I have a Dodge Ram Van 3500 and it's symptoms lead me to believe it has a cracked engine head: leaking coolant, muddy contaminated oil, overheating, idling rough. We're pretty sure it's more than just a blown head gasket.

Just wanted to see what everyone else recommends and whether the engine is worth replacing, if I can even find a used engine head. 1997 Dodge Ram Van with 177,000 miles.

Thanks.

Last edited by Honey Wagon; 09-29-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:37 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Old 09-29-2009, 04:47 PM
American Lead

why do you think it's more than just a head gasket?

Old 09-29-2009, 10:04 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by American Lead
why do you think it's more than just a head gasket?
True, based on the symptoms listed, it could just be an intake manifold gasket.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Honey Wagon

When I went to a service station to get a diagnostics check they mentioned "depressurization." Is this also a symptom of a cracked engine head or could that be due to a blown gasket as well? My mechanic and I are going to open up the engine and see whether it's the gasket or a cracked head this weekend hopefully. I guess that's the only way to find out.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:37 AM
22dodge
Banned

Originally Posted by Honey Wagon
Hey everybody, I have a Dodge Ram Van 3500 and it's symptoms lead me to believe it has a cracked engine head: leaking coolant, muddy contaminated oil, overheating, idling rough. We're pretty sure it's more than just a blown head gasket.

Just wanted to see what everyone else recommends and whether the engine is worth replacing, if I can even find a used engine head. 1997 Dodge Ram Van with 177,000 miles.

Thanks.
using an engine analyzer would pinpoint what cylinder is the problem. using other diagnostic tools, you can determine if it's a cracked head (rare) or bad head gasket based on combustion gasses showing up in the cooling system. these two simple diagnostic tests can pinpoint a bad head gasket or leaking intake to head gasket.

One caution, is if you've been running a while with coolant contaminated oil, you will do damage to the engine bearings.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:58 PM
American Lead

don't beleive a computer just pull the head and see what is wrong.... i doubt it would be a cracked head probably a head gasket or intake gasket... no big deal... theres no sure way to variate between the two unless you just pull the head

Old 09-30-2009, 05:01 PM
22dodge
Banned

yes there is and I said exactly how to do that. and it doesn't involve a computer. it's called an engine analyzer. it reads spark patterns. a cylinder with coolant in the mix will show up with a different spark pattern. it takes less then 5 min to do the whole test. then you don't pull off the wrong head. and with a quick test at the radiator cap will tell you if it's a bad head gasket and not a bad intake gasket.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:43 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

I agree, after all we're not talking about swapping out a water pump here. No one wants to pull off a cylinder head only to find out that it didn't need to come off.

Quick Reply: Cracked Engine head