Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

MAP sensor question

Old 12-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Horton
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After checking hose & wiring I unhooked battery to clear codes. This morning the CEL came on again while the van was warming up in the driveway. At this point I'm leaning towards replacing the MAP sensor. I got the same code 12 & 13 again today.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:39 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the van Idling/driving smoothly? A code indicating that a sensor is getting incorrect readings, does not mean the necessarily sensor has failed, only that it is reading parameters outside that which the ECM is programmed to look for.

A code 13 could also be caused by the TB being loose on the intake manifold, a leaking TB gasket. A plugged vacuum port, or excessive resistance or a short in the wiring leading to the sensor from the ECM. Or the ECM itself. Or the diaphram inside the Map sensor has developed a leak.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Horton
Rookie

The van is running fine, no sputters. This will give me a route to find the problem. Most of the plastic parts close to the engine have become brittle, some of the tabs have broken off. I will let the professionals check it out. Thanks!

Old 12-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Horton
Rookie

Mechanic says the MAP sensor is bad. I would've blown on the hose for him except I had to get to work and it's bitter cold here today. Wind chill -20.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Horton
Rookie
Exclamation

Hi guys. The mechanic replaced the MAP sensor last week and the hose that goes to the back of the TB. It's worse now, CEL comes on every time you drive the van. The rpm takes a dive and it starts to run rough like its not getting enough gas. They had it again today and said the voltage parameters looked okay. Within five minutes from leaving the shop the CEL was on. They fixed the oil pressure gauge with a new one.
Any thoughts on this MAP situation?

Old 12-21-2009, 08:26 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

What's the code now when the CEL comes on?

Old 12-22-2009, 02:33 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wrote a response a couple days ago, but my laptop froze during, and I've only just stopped cursing each and every aspect of everything.

Assuming you are still getting the code 13 after getting a new map sensor. ( BTW did the mechanic give you the old Map sensor?) I will pose a couple hypothesisesesesss.

1. Moving the wires to the Map sensor further aggravitated a weak wire or poor connection.

2. Replacing the vacuum line to the map sensor caused an adjacent vacuum line on the TB's rear vacuum ports to fail.

3. There is a large accumulation of carbon in the TB, so the possibly new map sensor is more sensitive to the lack of proper vacuum .

4. Your ECM has gone plum Loco, causing not only your overdrive issues, but the map sensor codes and poor idle.

The only time I've gotten a code 13 is when my ECM was failing, and it caused stuttering, stumbling and backfiring for about 30 seconds on start up. It(The ECM) should have displayed this code during such an event, and it did, but it was also the issue.

Just because the ECM was able to recognize that one sensor was getting improper readings did not mean the ECM was still good in All respects. In my case.

Good luck

Old 12-22-2009, 08:13 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

5. The new MAP sensor isn't seated properly.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Horton
Rookie

or #6. Hard to find a mechanic who still believes in customer service.

Thanks guys for your help. The part is being replaced this week, hopefull that will be the end of it. Happy New Year!

Old 12-28-2009, 02:21 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Horton
The part is being replaced this week
What part is being replaced?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MAP sensor question