Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

idle air control valve problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:23 AM
kfrunz98404
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle air control valve problem

Hi
I have a 99 ram van 1500 with a 3.9.The idle air control valve is stuck in the open position and I haven't had any luck troubleshooting.I replaced the sensor and the motor still idles very high and the cel remains on and the same iacv code is still present.I have 5.1 volts constant to one wire going to the sensor and nothing to the other 3 wires and haven't found any dead shorts.I also checked power to my tps and it also had 5.1 volts.I tried a technique mentioned in another thread of putting my finger over the opening and stalling the motor,leaving the key on and then disconnecting the battery with no luck.The hole seemed bigger than the plunger on the valve so I double checked the part#.Should there be some sort of grommet in the opening?I also made sure my ground straps were grounded.Is there a temperature sensor that controls the iacv?Thanks in advance for any suggestions.I'm on unenjoyment right now so I'm trying to avoid buying a new computer or a trip to the dealer if at all possible

Old 02-18-2010, 02:11 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

The four wires from the IAC go directly to the PCM and nothing else. Since you've replaced the IAC I suppose you can rule it out. Hopefully all you have is a wiring issue in one of those four wires.

Nope, no grommet.
What was the code you got?

Old 02-18-2010, 02:38 PM
kfrunz98404

The code i have is 505.I also forgot to mention I checked for vacum leaks and the pcv is working properly

Old 02-18-2010, 05:59 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

After you changed the IAC did you disconnect the battery for a while? Just clearing the code with a scan tool won't do it, you have to disconnect the battery. The reason you have to disconnect the battery is because the PCM learns both your driving habits and how to idle the vehicle. By disconnecting the battery for a minimum of 10 minutes all of the information is wiped out and the PCM is free to relearn how to control the IAC.

You didn't happen to change spark plugs recently did you?

Old 02-18-2010, 11:49 PM
kfrunz98404

Ok I bought the van a little over 2 months ago.A week after I bought it.It started acting up in the mornings and after it sat for more than hour it started idling eradically and would sputter,load up and pop upon acceleration unless you floored it then it would come out of it.The distributor cap was crusty so I replaced the cap,plugs,and rotor.It continued to do it.I pulled out the idle air cotrol valve to clean it and the plunger part literally fell off.Replaced it with a new one,but the problem continued.So I thought clogged fuel filter.Found out it has a non servicable filter so I replaced the fuel pump but the loss of power,loading up, popping and sputtering still continues randomly usually after sitting.Several days after replacing the fuel pump the motor started idling very high and the check engine light came on for the first time since I've owned the van and code 0505(idle air control valve)came up.I replaced it with a new one and there was no change and the same code is still present

Quick Reply: idle air control valve problem