Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

I need help.. BAD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010 | 09:03 PM
dodgevanguy
|

Ok, we went and picked up the van today. Got her home and started looking at it. put the plug wires back in there correct positions and put the distributor back where it should be. The van fired up afterwards and seemed to run good. We took it down the road and it ran fine everything ran as it should. We drove her about 4 miles and she started acting up. We babied her back to the house and shut turned it off. Started going over the wires and vacuum lines and everything looks fine. Fired her back up awhile later and she ran fine. After the van warmed up again when you hit the gas hard it would spit and sputter. Pushing the gas slow and it would rev just fine. I'm kind of lost here.... any help?

Old 03-06-2010 | 09:27 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

When you cranked it up today how long did you have to run the starter for the engine to catch and run? Also how much fuel is in the fuel tank right now?

Old 03-06-2010 | 10:05 PM
dodgevanguy
|

The first time it took some cranking. After that it would sometimes start right up, and other times it would take some cranking and or pushing the throttle. We actually took the hose that crosses the intake and goes from fuel rail to fuel rail off because we were going to do a fuel pressure test but we didnt have the right fittings, but anyways when we put the hose back on it started up and ran better for awhile.

It has about a quarter tank in it....

Old 03-06-2010 | 10:10 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

Try filling up the tank and see how the van runs. If it runs much better then most likely it is time to replace the fuel pump. Most cases the fuel pump will run fine if the fuel is kept over half a tank and act up when under half.

To test fuel pressure look on the left side fuel rail about in the middle to see if it has the test port, some do and some do not.

Old 03-06-2010 | 10:18 PM
dodgevanguy
|

We looked everywhere for one and didnt see one so i'm pretty sure it doesnt have one. I'll try filling the tank tomorrow... but thats gonna make it alot hard to change the fuel pump if that is the issue. But its worth a try. Also have a crank sensor coming tomorrow and a new computer is in the mail.

Old 03-07-2010 | 05:01 PM
dodgevanguy
|

The van wouldn't start today, we finally got it to run after moving the distributer a little. When we got it to fire it ran rough and brought up code 12, battery disconnected. A my friend thinks it might be the computer so we disconnected the battery, waited a few minutes and hooked it back up. Put the distributer back to where it should be and started it up. Ran fine after that with no codes.

I didnt fill the tank but I we did buy some fittings and put a fuel pressure gauge on the van. It was running 50-53 psi the hole time we had it running (about 45 minutes) After running awhile and shutting it off it took a little cranking to get it to start again. I did try the new crank sensor but it didn't help any.... Still not positive whats wrong.

Old 03-07-2010 | 05:22 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

I gonna guess the computer. When mine was failing, disconnecting it for while would allow it to start and run fine, until the next time.

But they(cardone) say they rarely fail on their own, that some sensor or solenoid is out of whack and caused the failure, most likely the tranny lock up or overdrive solenoid or the wiring to them.

I had one of the wires leading to the tranny had chafed and shorted out on the bell housing that caused my failure.

Old 03-07-2010 | 06:39 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator

Test your TPS for smooth operation or skipping.

Old 03-07-2010 | 11:07 PM
dodgevanguy
|

How do I test the TPS?

Old 03-08-2010 | 10:26 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator

Connect an ohm meter to the center terminal and one of the outside terminals. Then slowly rotate the TPS and see if the ohms reads changes smoothly or jumps around. If it's smooth the TPS is good.

Quick Reply: I need help.. BAD!!!