Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Engine dies spontaneously and won't start for a while

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:29 PM
CMinerva
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dies spontaneously and won't start for a while

I have a 1999 - 3500 Extended Dodge Ram conversion van with 5.9 Liter engine, auto trans, AC, the works and only 35K miles.

While I'm driving the engine just shuts down and won't start. No sound when turning the key or starter activity. Other electrical equipment still operates ie: interior lights. After awhile it will start up and drive as if nothing was wrong. Won't happen again for week, month or more, then happens again without warning. tried to put computer code reader on when it happened and will not read anything. I thought it might be the ignition switch. Ever hear anything like this?

Old 03-15-2010, 03:59 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Could be a bad ASD relay, a bad connection to the battery, or the PCM (computer).

Old 03-16-2010, 09:28 AM
CMinerva

Thank you Alloro I will check that out today.
Question: What was the original reason they created and installed an 'ASD relay'?

Old 03-16-2010, 11:03 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

So that the power necessary to run the PCM, ignition, fuel pump, and injectors did not all run through the ignition switch. Now the ignition switch turns on the ASD relay which in turn powers up the aforementioned equipment.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:27 PM
1993-B350-1TON-15PASS-5.9
Amateur

did you ever figure this out?

I'm in a touring band. look at my user name, thats what we have as far as van in concerned, lol.

anyway, ours does something similar. On the highway, its fine. But slowing into traffic, itll just die sometime. after letting it sit for a while (30-40 min) it starts just fine. rarely we have to use a little starting spray. But it ONLY does this when its really hot out, never in the spring / fall / winter. Totally confused.

I know some car stuff, please help - we have a tour soon!

Quick Reply: Engine dies spontaneously and won't start for a while