Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

On Board computers

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 PM
cgees1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On Board computers

does anyone know anything about replacing computers and having them flashed or reflashing old computers. this one in particular in for 1996 dodge B1500 Ram Van

Old 05-25-2010, 02:03 AM
wilbo
Rookie

I replaced my computer/PCM/ECU to fix a voltage reg problem. I just got the part code from the top of the old (Mopar) one and found someone on EBay selling. You can also use RockAuto to get the part numbers. Just make sure it's the right one for your van and whether you need CA emissions control? My van have about 4 different PCM part numbers so I just went with the one on the original one.

Not sure about flashing, some other people on the forum will know about this I'm sure!

Wilbo

Old 05-26-2010, 02:09 PM
habanero

I went through this with my 2001 RamVan 1500 318 5.2 Litre and it turned into something of an ordeal cuz finding a replacement computer proved to be a challenge.

Before arriving at the point where I concluded that I'd have to replace the computer altogether NAPA sent it off to Pennsylvania (Philadelphia) where there is a company that rebuilds (refurbishes) these. Apparently, in some instances and from whats been told to me, a rebuild is a pretty minor undertaking to someone who knows what they are doing but Philly sent mine back saying they couldn't rebuild it.

I searched pretty extensively, of course the dealer had one but wanted $700 and/or my firstborn child some crazyass price like that or therabouts. I discovered a few things mainly which I felt would be helpful input to you:

1. "Different part numbers" where the ECM for my van was concerned consisted of the main part number ending with various letters (A, B, C, D and E) any of these would work for me and the higher the letter = most recent software install or (maybe) "flash???" I was never lead to believe that there was a hardware difference between the various part #'s but I am unsure.....feel confident its a software thing so naturally I looked out for the highest lettered part but in the end was unable to be picky cuz this was truly hard to find.

2. If I could find a computer, while I was led to believe that "flashing" it would require a very expensive piece of equipment (machine) that few have beyond dealerships I could get it done locally here for $30.

3. Eventually I found an ended eBay ad for what I needed, called the company in FL after looking for complaints online and finding a few, a couple downright alarming, I talked to them on the phone ordered the part they sent it ($155 shipping included) along with a return UPS envelope so I could send them my fried ECM.

I can't recall the name of this company right now, I could find it if need be. Someone might know tho off the top of their head cuz apparently they are a common path to finding a hard to locate ECM and people know of them.

ECM they sent me corrected my problem and has worked well to this point, 8 months later.

For me tho, in terms of dealing with this company and with the negative reviews I'd seen online....a red flag for me was a document the CSR I talked with said I had to sign before they'd mail the ECM.

This doc he emailed it to me saying print it out sign it scan it email it back and we'll mail your part.

This doc said (in addition to other stuff like you have to send us your old ECM) basically that If the ECM they sent me didn't work tuff titty I ain't got no recourse NO REFUNDS so I'm like HELL NO I ain't signing this thing whadd're you outta your fuggin MIND???

So I'm like 'yeah these people are scammers'

but I didn't say all that to them I instead just called them a few times saying 'when you gonna send the part?', nothing more was mentioned about the document I supposedly had to sign (was dealing with different CSR now....from the first).

There was a delay in shipping it out. They said they had other orders ahead of mine. Over the course of 3 days my calls to them got angrier and angrier to the point where I was pretty much AT the place of tellin' 'em (may have even said basically this....to Lisa....the CSR) 'You know I can just call the credit card company and get the charge reversed....I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish here by not just sending the part."

shortly after I hung the phone up from that call UPS banged on the door and outta nowhere there was the ECM and i swear that Lisa in that last call had told me it was still to ship but I may be mistaken about that. I had concluded I wasn't gonna get it.

Hopefully it'll be less of a hunt to find one for your '96

Last edited by habanero; 05-26-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:35 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts
Old 05-26-2010, 10:36 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CARDONE has the PCM/ECM for our vans. If you do a search in this forum under RAM VAN for PCM with my user name, you will find a few good reliable places to get the computer.

Quick Reply: On Board computers