Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Best Spark Plugs - Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:47 AM
banner1124
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alloro
Which brings up that old saying, "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."
Fortunately for me my decision is a matter of perference rather than ignorance.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:52 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by banner1124
I'm not sure what dealers are like other places but out here the plugs from the dealer weren't that much more than at the auto parts store. I'm well aware that I can get the same plugs from the auto parts store for a bit cheaper, but considering I was getting the wires from the dealer anyway it just made sense to go ahead and pick up the plugs for what was in the end just a few bucks more.
Ahhh, those terrible Champion plugs. It cost me $300 to change them. They were frozen in the engine and three broke in place while extracting them. The good thing is, it's getting harder and harder to find Champion plugs anymore at the auto retail stores.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stev
Ahhh, those terrible Champion plugs. It cost me $300 to change them. They were frozen in the engine and three broke in place while extracting them. The good thing is, it's getting harder and harder to find Champion plugs anymore at the auto retail stores.
Agree. I don't even like to run Champions in my lawnmower, and I will not run them in my 2-cycle chainsaw, trimmer and blower engines.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I went with Denso 4503 Platinum plugs on sale at Advance Auto for $1.99 each. Engine is running amazingly smooth now.

The guy I bought the van from last year said the engine had just been tuned prior to my purchase, but I find that hard to believe since the average gap on the Champions I pulled out was .060, and the electrodes were wiped.

In the words of the great Ronald Reagan, "Trust, but verify."

Old 06-21-2010, 12:39 AM
lomita
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Threw in some Autolite Platinums today with new cap rotor and plug wires from Napa Auto Parts. Prior to plug change, put half can of SeaFoam through the carb while running. Shut it down, let sit 5 minutes, then started it back up and ran at 3000 rpm til the smoke cleared. Also added half quart of Marvel Mystery Oil to crankcase. Lifters immediately quieted down. End result, nice smooth running, responsive 3.9L engine. Shoot, didn't even notice the mileage, suspect well past 100,000+ miles. For a 5/94 manufacture, works good enuf for now.

Quick Reply: Best Spark Plugs - Opinions?