Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2002 RAM 1500 Van - Steering column stuck in up position

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:44 PM
menke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 RAM 1500 Van - Steering column stuck in up position

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 conversion van.
Strange problem, the steering wheel is stuck in the upward tilt position. The tilt lever moves, but I can't move the steering column down. Odd thing is that my speedometer and a/c stopped working, and my check engine and ABS light is on.
The van still drives OK.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Marty

Old 07-09-2010, 02:24 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

It sounds like one of the ignition wires got yanked and isn't making connection to have lost power to those items.

Did someone pull the release lever without holding the steering wheel and just let it slam up? If so it could be jambed and a good yank downward might free it up.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:24 AM
menke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks alloro. I took the steering column cover off and found that there was a broke wire on the wire harness causing my a/c not to work, which in turn may have caused my check engine light (had to repair the wire and disconnect the battery to clear).
It looks like the tilt issue could be a broken part. It was hard to see. I believe a cable runs from the release lever to a bar, the bar then pushes down on another bar with teeth that lock the tilt. The first bar appears to be broken. Any ideas who would have parts?

Old 07-11-2010, 12:55 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by menke
Any ideas who would have parts?
For something like that I would think you're stuck with a junkyard or the dealer.

Quick Reply: 2002 RAM 1500 Van - Steering column stuck in up position