Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

88 b250 shut off,no spark or fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 PM
2DoorPost
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 b250 shut off,no spark or fuel

No spark,or fuel. Replaced ASD...still nothing. Getting code 37, part throttle unlock solenoid. ANY help appriciated!!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:27 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My PTU relay has been missing ever since I got my van. No codes for it.

Start by cleaning and tightening grounds.

Bypass the ASD relay by bridging the 2 thicker wires with a short length of wire.
Listen for the fuel pump.

Check for the ECM ground which might be at the foot of the coil.

Pull out the fusable links from behind the brake booster and check them.

See if your ignition switch has released it's smoke.

See if the rotor turns when you crank the engine.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:40 PM
2DoorPost

I bridged the wires on the ASD relay,and the pump runs.The rotor turns when I turn it over. I'll check grounds next. What do you mean about ignition switch releasing it's smoke? I didn't see any smoke when it shut off! It just died and won't start. I WAS driving in VERY heavy rain the night before it quit.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:22 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

"Releasing it's smoke" is just a not very clever way of saying it's broke.

Your ASd relay powers the fuel pump, so it seems it is not being told to do so.

Check the fusible links behind the brake booster.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/electrical-links.html

There is a white one which either feeds power through the ASD, or sends power to close the relay, IDK which.

Also , unhook the battery, and then unhook the connections at the ECM, and check for corrosion/ wetness from the rainstorm.

And check the wires that feed the connectors to the ecm for any green or white corrosion, or any burnt looking wires.

When reconnected, try wiggling the connectors at the ecm with the key on and see if any relays click.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:53 PM
2DoorPost

I bought a new asd from Napa,it's not exactly the same,they did a cross look up from the numbers on my asd.the plug in part is the same...no start. I've taken apart the main wire plug in by the battery,it's clean,I've cleaned and tightned all grounds I can find. I've looked at the fuseable links behind the brake booster,they look fine. All connections at the ecm are clean dry. Could the hall sensor distributer pick up be bad? I'm pulling out my hair on this one!! Thank you for all the suggestions,I'll keep listening!!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:02 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

The Hall effect sensor in the distributor can be checked, but I cannot find the page in my Haynes manual.

I have heard some aftermarket HE sensors do not work properly. I replaced my good one with another good one from Napa many years ago. Elchin brand.

Did you check the ECm ground at the base of the coil?

I have never had to mess with my ignition switch, and do not know if that might be an issue. alloro jump in here.

I have had a fusible link appear fine but be bad, so you should really pull on them to see if they stretch and inspect them real closely.

Also check the bulk head connectors under the battery to see if any water got in there.

It could be the Ecm too, and that can only really be determined by replacement, or 100% elimination of every other conceivable culprit.

Good luck

Old 07-20-2010, 09:22 PM
2DoorPost

I unplugged the bulkhead connector,I seen a small amount of corrosion nothing much,cleaned it up anyways to be sure. Unbolted and cleaned the ground next to the coil,the one on the rear of the passenger head,main ground off the battery to front of driver side head,even the little one behind of the battery! I checked for power at each fuseable link with test light. But I don't have any power from # 30 at the asd,nothing with key on,or off (green wire) Shouldn't that have power with key on?

Old 07-20-2010, 10:01 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

IDK about number 30.

When you bridged the 2 fatter wires where the relay connects, and the fuel pump turned on, did you try and start the engine?

I have had issues with my ASD relay. I have taken it apart and seen that the contacts were corroded or missing. I've taken a file to them and rebent it, then applied 12 volts to it and saw the contacts close nicely. I first did this 3 years ago, then again 6 months later, but not since. The second time it decided not to start, I knew exactly what it was. I was 15 miles from home, and just removed the relay, jumped the 2 fatter wires, started it and drove home, then fixed the relay at my leisure.

I believe I used a small drill bit to remove the tabs within the relay so I could bet it apart. Wish I took photos.

Do you have A haynes or chilton which tells you how to test The relays and the HE sensor? Might be a very good 25$ investment. See if you can find a factory service manual on Ebay for cheap. One for my '89 is 55$.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:38 PM
2DoorPost

No I didn't try to start it with the wires bridged,but the pump did run. I have the used asd off the van,and a new one from Napa. I have a factory service manual,but it doesn't say how to test the hall effect sensor. I may just pick one up to see if it will start! ANY other ideas to try...I'm more than willing!! Thanks again for your time.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:02 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

Bridge the 2 fat wires where the ASD relay goes, and see if it starts. When bridged see if you get spark.

Quick Reply: 88 b250 shut off,no spark or fuel