Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Dodge w250 does not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:41 AM
Dan95948
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge w250 does not start

I have a 1992 dodge ram w250 v8 5.2. The van sat for 3 years and I am finally getting around tro getting it up and running. I have replaced the distributor and cap. I got the TDC where it should be at. I rebuilt the starter. I have checked the fuel filter and the fuel pump but the van still wont start. I have checked and there is no spark from the spark plugs. I checked all the fuses and relays and they all appear to be working fine within spec. I am at a loss of what else may be wrond with the car. I tried getting the check engine light to come on so I could see what codes I need to deal with. The check engine wont come on at all but all the other electrical seems to be working fine. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 08-01-2010, 02:23 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you first turn the key to on(not start), does the CEL illuminate?

If it does not, then you need to first check and replace the bulb. replace it anyway because I've had plenty of those which looked fine, but were not.

If you have determined the bulb is good, you need to check the fusible links which provide power to the PCM. The fusible links will be tucked behind the brake booster. They are a length of wire designed to safely burn up internally and protect the electrical systems. They have a different feeling to the insulation than regular wire. They will look burnt or stretch out if they blew, but they can also appear fine, and not be, in rare circumstances.

Look at the sticky for ASD relay at the top. With a short length of wire you can bypass that relay and help determine the order of the next steps in diagnosis.

Quick Reply: Dodge w250 does not start