Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

318 taking in too much fuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 11:00 PM
reddraghon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 318 taking in too much fuel

my 88 dodge b250 van is taking in too much fuel. it idles rough, sometimes stalls when i first start it up, it bogs etc. i have replaces plugs, wires, rotor, cap, fuel injectors. even the air filter and pcv valve just to see if it was compensating for a loss of air. after all this it ran a better for a couple days then bang, starts again. does anyone have a problem like this that could help? thanks for the help

Old 08-15-2010, 06:03 AM
Dodgeys Owner
Amateur

Sounds like it could be your oxygen sensor that has a loose connection or is worn out.
It's located on the left exhaust manifold. That's my best guess, since you've replaced the parts described.
Another suggestion is a faulty MAP sensor, or the MAP sensor hose is leaking / blocked.
It could be a leak in the manifold gasket as well.
Have you tried the key dance, it may lead you on your way to the problem, as it did when i had the similar problems with my '88.

Everything about the key dance is described in this thread: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...d-1-codes.html

Good luck; let's hear about it when the problem is solved

Old 08-17-2010, 12:13 AM
reddraghon
Default the problem is

the computers code says i am taking in too much fuel, like i said before. i have been thinking about replacing the oxygen sensor for a long time but that 80 bucks that it cost is making me change my mind. someone said since it is old enough i can just unplug it.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:31 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take it you mean you are getting a code 52, engine running rich?

Just because the O2 sensor is reading a rich condition does not mean the 02 sensor is at fault, merely that it is receiving a reading outside the parameters. But 02 sensors do wear out.

If your Coolant Temp Sensor(2 wire for the computer, The Sender for the dash gauge is 1 wire) is reading too cold, it will run rich.

A vaccuum leak can cause it to run rich, and other things like the throttle position sensor, Map sensor, failing fuel pressure regulator among others.

All sensors can be tested for resistance, or in the case of the O2 sensor, fluctuating voltage. A CTS can be bought at Rockauto for under 15 dollars.
Haynes or Chilton Manuals tell you how to test the sensors if you have a Digital mulitmeter.

Rockauto also lists O2 sensors from 35 dollars to 95 dollars for an '88 b250

Old 08-17-2010, 11:49 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife's van started to use too much fuel. Mileage dropped by 10mpg. Put a new O@ sensor in, and bam! the mpg was better than ever after that.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:02 PM
reddraghon
Default thanks for the help

im getting about 8 mpg right now, lol. tomorrow i am going to my local u pull it junk yard and i am going to pull the egr, map sensor, o2 sensor, and a coolant temp sensor. i dont know where my book went so can anyone tell me where the map sensor and the coolant temp sensor is? thank you again everyone.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Dodgeys Owner
Amateur

On my car the MAP is located on the top left side above the engine, it's a little black box that's visible when you remove the engine cover in the cabin. 1 rubber hose and a 2 or 3 wired cable goes to it.
The coolant sensor is located on the front side of the intake, it's fairly easy to recognize, as it has a plug with 2 wires - the temperature meter sensor only has 1.

Boy, i wish i just could go to a "u pull it" yard to salvage parts for my B... but it's not like that here; i think there's about 15-20 B-vans registred...in the whole country.

PS.; it's a good idea to blow air through the hose and all the way into the throttle body; it may be clogged by old carbonized so-and-so.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:50 PM
reddraghon
Default thanks

for telling me where these were but i had just looked and went to the salvage yard. lol. i didnt get a map sensor, i forgot totally about that. and you cant find and O2 sensor because everyone takes those when they take the cat off. i have taken off the hoses and blown them out. they do get pretty bad. i like my van and i plan to keep in on the road even though it sucks down some gas.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:29 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a can sea foam in the tank. There are various methods for it's use.

Google it.

There is an aerosol can. I ran the engine with the cover off and was firing it down into the TB, once doing a full throttle blast going up a steep hill. Later with the same can and the straw attached, I introduced it to the vacuum lines like the instructions say, But I used the map sensor vacuum line, and the one which controls the heated air inlet door. These get their vacuum from the front side of the throttle body, or back side if you are sitting in the driver's seat. That compartment was choked with carbon the first time I removed my TB.

After the sea foam treatment, then get a new O2 sensor.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:25 PM
crowell_45

i have a 93 dodge mark three with a 318 5.2 its showing a code 44 and im needing to know the name of the part and where it is located.

Quick Reply: 318 taking in too much fuel