Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1989 dodge b250

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 03:37 AM
fouribl1nd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 dodge b250

hello everyone... recently purchased a 1989 b250 van for $1200 (is that cheap?) that has under 80k miles. need some minor info on what (5w-30?) type of oils used and how much and some basic DIY info. thanks.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:21 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure it is 80k miles and not 180k miles?

5w-30 would be thinner when cold than 10w-30, but the same viscosity when hot. Thin on cold start up is good, especially in colder climates.

The books in parts stores will tell you to use a small oil filter. Purolator 30001 is more than twice the size, and increases your oil and filter media capacity.

The transmissions are the weak link. You probably have an A 500. You should verify that the overdrive is working. Feel for another gear after 28 mph under light accelleration. At 47 MPH, under light accelleration, you should feel the torque converter lock up.

You need to check the tranny fluid level with the engine running, and in neutral. You want the fluid to look pink and smell sweet. Brown and burnt is bad. ATF +4 is the only available acceptable tranny fluid. A quickie lube joint, or even a tranny shop are not likely to use the right fluid.

Do not use dexron like the dipstick says. It is wrong!

I have an '89 as well. You should try and get at the minimum a Haynes or Chilton Manual for your Van. A factory service Manual is much better, but they are quite pricey for out model years. I had to pay 70$ with tax and delivery.

I bought mine through E bay, but this company was the seller:
http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1...50-P16002.aspx

Old 08-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Leeann
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10w-30 or 10w-40 is spec'd for your van.

I got a 1990 Rear Wheel Drive Van/Wagon factory service manual on eBay for $20 shipped, from someone other than Faxon (who charges a BUNCH). It is well worth it...Haynes and Chilton don't come close.

According to my dipstick and my FSM, Dexron is ONLY acceptable to top off the tranny if it's a little low. ATF+3 (now +4) is the only acceptable fluid for a tranny fluid/filter change. Believe me, you'll regret having used a quickie lube's 'universal' fluid (the PO of my van did and it blew up in less than 500 miles).

What engine do you have? What shape is the tranny pan (that'll help us ID the tranny)?

Quick Reply: 1989 dodge b250