Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Huge Problem With My Van, I Need Help ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Matt Starr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge Problem With My Van, I Need Help ASAP!

Wednesday night I drove my van to downtown Denver and it was running perfectly fine all day. At 2am we decided to go home, so I got in the van and went to turn the key and it wouldn't turn. I tried for an hour to get the key to turn but it was hopeless. I finally called AAA to come tow me home. The tow truck driver spent about 15 mins trying to get the key turn too. So now the steering wheel is still locked and the key still won't trurn and I've tried all of my spare keys too.
We have a show in Ft. Collins tomorrow so I need to fix this ASAP. If anyone know whats going on and how to fix it please let me know.
Thanks

Old 08-20-2010, 05:36 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

If you pop the lock out, you should be able to reach in with something like a screwdriver and turn the ignition cam.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Matt Starr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alloro
If you pop the lock out, you should be able to reach in with something like a screwdriver and turn the ignition cam.
Do I need to pull off the steering wheel to do that? I know how to pull a steering wheel without an air bag but Im not sure how to pull one with an air bag.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:46 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

No you do not have to pull the steering wheel. At least 99 out of 100 times you don't. It might help to remove the top and bottom cover off the steering column just to make it easier to see what's going on. Under the ignition lock is a button that has to be pressed up to get the lock out. Normally you would turn the key forward a bit, push the button up, and then slide the lock out. Your problem is that you cannot turn the key. However, with the key in the lock, keep attempting to rock it forward and back as you push the button up. Twelve years of wear and tear might give you enough play to get the button pressed in and the lock out.

If that fails, you're stuck screwing a slide hammer into the lock and slamming the lock out of there.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:18 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The lock out on the mini-vans is a solenoid that has a manual over ride by pulling on the end shaft with the key being turned and the shifter ready to move.

If the Ram Van is similar, then like alloro stated, look for the lockout and fiddle around with it. It is able to be manually released.

Quick Reply: Huge Problem With My Van, I Need Help ASAP!