Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Flashing oil warning light

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:37 AM
akwi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing oil warning light

Hi, I have an B250 Royal van 1987 and suddenly the oil warning light started flashing, but the meter to the right is showing an ok value.
I looked at the motor oil dipstick and saw that the oil level was to low so I gave the engine about litre. Now the oil level is between add and full but the warning light is still flashing. Why ?
Does anyone have an explanation ?

Martin from Sweden.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:49 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

oil change due, maybe?

Old 08-31-2010, 11:19 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gauge and idiot light are not to be trusted. You can buy a mechanical gauge for about 30$(here in the US anyway) that gives you real time oil PSI, instead of the 30 to 45 second delay with the Stock electric models, or you can hook up a tester and see what your PSI really is with a hot engine at idle speeds. You can also just buy a new sending unit for 3 to 33 dollars.

Are you getting any engine noises when the light illuminates?

This is a photo of what RockAuto says an oil pressure switch looks like on an '87. It looks different on my '89 which has a taller electrical connector. It is about 6 inches to the right of the distributor. Check the wiring.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:46 AM
akwi

Thanks for your quick answers.
I hear no noise when the light flashes and.
Why is there both a light and a meter, the light to the left and the meter to the right.
The meter rises nice up against the H (high), I suppose that means high (normal) oil pressure.
The oil is black so I must change it anyway, at the same time I will buy a new sending unit and then I will see what happens.

Thanks again

Old 09-02-2010, 10:41 AM
akwi
Angry still flashing

Hi, I have changed oil and filter in the engine now, but the warning light still flashes.
Must be some electric problem.

Martin

Old 09-02-2010, 06:48 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

Turn the key to on position, But DO NOT start engine. Then push the gas pedal to the floor 3 times within 5 seconds, then turn key off.

For many vehicles this is the standard oil light (or service light) reset procedure after doing an oil change. See if that solves the problem.

Quick Reply: Flashing oil warning light