Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1999 ram van not idleing

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 03:38 PM
rughog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 ram van not idleing

Hey everyone, I have a 1999 dodge van 1500 with a 318 auto trans and I just had the computer replaced after being advised to do so because it was shooting multiple codes and it would only run about 10 minutes at a time before stalling and then would do all over again. After installing rebuilt computer engine fired right up but shot code for 0505 for idle air control. I turned off engine, then tried to restart, but it would not start without touching the accelerator down a bit and would not stay running unless i kept throttle down a bit , would just stall and die. I was hoping to get a little more life out of this ol; van without any more added costs, but I was wondering on where do I go now with this code and how do I fix it cheaply and can I do it myself? Any help would be most appreciated, as I have sought advice here before and everyone seems quite knowledgeable

Old 09-02-2010, 04:49 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man are you lucky to have such an easy issue. Too bad you replaced the PCM before coming here first.

Stev has a thread somewhere on here about how to clean the IAC valve. Idle air control. DO a search. It should really be a Sticky.

Another slim possibility is a weak battery. Fully charge it via the grid and have it tested, if it is 5 years old consider just replacing it. If you have jumpstarted it multiple times, it has likely sulphated beyond help, no matter what it's age.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:54 PM
rughog

thanks for the quick help, i will search that thread, I replaced the pcm because it was checked at a local repair shop and it was sending out all kinds of codes at thje time, they told me these Dodge vans had a bad way with the computers, as it is, I replaced the first computer in this van back at 80,000 miles when the tranny was changed too, it nopw has about 195,000 on it. Also, this van will start up easily when its from a cold start, after you turn it off, thats when it won't start and idle, will this still be of cleaning the idle air?

Old 09-02-2010, 05:51 PM
rughog

cleaned iac valve as shown, reset code and the van seemed to run much better, but when i turned off and restarted, the 505 code appeared again, should i go ahead and replace the valve? it was dirty, and what would the battery do as far as you stated before? it hasnt had any battery issues as i can recall, always starts, but it is a older battery

Old 09-02-2010, 06:02 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know why a weak battery does that to that era of dodge van, all I know is that I've seen it on 2 different Vans.

Remember, a weak battery that is only 30% charged can still start the Van. Just because it can start the Van does not mean the battery is good. Batteries usually give out in the heat of summer, or reveal their lost capacity in the cold of winter.

Also clean the battery terminals and check the ground wires from the battery to the engine and firewall. Many weird electrical issues arise from these points. Also consider adding a ground from engine to frame. You cannot have too many grounds and you must be able to rule them out when doing diagnosing any electrical issue.

The IAC or the wiring leading to it could be bad as well.

Quick Reply: 1999 ram van not idleing