Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Lurker..now new member....1990 B150....Problem stalling, rough idle, backfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Hillbilly Wheeling
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the updates.
Nice van you have there 2, the body looks to be in decent shape.
Are you sleeping in it, or is it your daily driver?

Get a used O2 from the junk yard and see if it changes.
Turn the key on, off, on, off then on and read how many times the CHECK ENGINE light blinks. They have the codes listed in the Haynes manual. 55 means that its the end of th code, 12 is normal to have as well. Basically what you do is read how many pulses it has, then it breaks for a short second or two then blinks again. then a long pause between codes. It is very helpful.

Read up on your manual, very helpful hints. It solved the problem I had with my van, with a no start with a crank. Basically was a loose main ground to A/C pump bracket, and a pooched SMEC (Computer). Symptoms were voltage into coil was not within 1 volt, and no output voltage of coil. Would crank, but not start. I ended up replacing the Starter, Coil, Resistor, Cap/Rotor. I will be replacing the Starter ($180) with a junk yard one and get a refund, along with Coil ($50). Canadian Tire (Canada - Auto Parts Store) said I have 90 days (3 months) to get a refund. I am out approximately $630 on a $40 part. On Hostels, Greyhound, Hotel, rather then just sleeping in my van and gas money. I spend only $10/day in gas

I would suggest to you to track down what your problem is, with new parts. Find out what the part is that is defective, buy that part, return the new parts you dont need.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Invanity

Hey guys, thanks for the replies...So what I've done so far:

I was reading up on other parts of the forum and was deceived and replaced the EGR valve/transducer (all one unit). Ran up the van and still running with that erratic idle and random backfire while driving

Defeated.

Performed the key dance....only came out with Code 55 - End of Code, no other codes stored.

Still haven't replaced the O2 sensor....Won't get back around to the van till Friday

The evening caught up with me today, I work fulltime and go to college so my time during the week is sparse. If I could I would spend all day working on the van I would. I purchased this van as a project, rip it apart and upgrade it all around so throwing in these new parts are a positive, once it's running smoothly again I'm going back to working on the interior. Ive also got my eyes on a set of 16in wheels and some beefier/ taller tires. I've already upgraded the sound system and am very happy with it.

I haven't slept in it yet but hope to soon. I'm planning on taking this beast camping.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:40 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Invanity
erratic idle and random backfire while driving
The backfire can only be caused by a vacuum leak, a lean fuel mixture, or if the valve or ignition timing are off.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Invanity

Ok.....I'll take the vacuum leak route next before I hit the O2 sensor

Old 09-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Invanity

What is the vacuum supposed to be at? Is there a preferred place to take the readings from?

Old 09-17-2010, 08:55 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

20 inches, directly off the manifold.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Invanity

I double checked all the vacuum lines for cracks etc. Just took the readings and it jumps up to 20" but fluctuates down till nearly 0 before it dies.....when it is idling smoothly for several seconds the vacuum sits and stays 18-20"......whenever I get that hesitation the vacuum drops

Any clues....? Still no codes

Im planning to disconnect the O2 sensor see if I notice a change...Is there only 1 O2 sensor?

Old 09-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Invanity

Ok just an update

I was messing with the vacuum gauge and I started looking down the throttle body and it looks like that same injector I was taking about before is still not firing! Its really erratic

I went ahead and swapped the injectors around and the problem followed the injector....It fires sporadically and at times not at all for a few seconds and that is when the vacuum drops and engine stalls.

I ordered a new injector since no one seems to have had one in stock, it should be here today and I'll get that baby in there this evening

Old 09-20-2010, 02:49 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"THey" say you should replace all the injectors when one fails as the new one will not shoot the exact same amount of fuel, ect...

I have 2 different brand, 2 different age injectors in my TB, and the thing idles so smooth I sometimes think it has stalled.

Hope it solves your problem.

The o2 sensor had no hope of causing your issues, it either causes it to run rich or lean, and only has an effect after it warms up.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Invanity

Funny you say that!

The day I cleaned out the throttle body and injectors...The van ran sooo smoothly that when I was at a stop sign I could have sworn the van had stalled...Hopefully that's the way it runs tonight: SMOOTH

Here a shot of the engine bay and those little rat bastard injectors

Name:  2010-09-11154847.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  40.8 KB

Quick Reply: Lurker..now new member....1990 B150....Problem stalling, rough idle, backfire