Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1988 Dodge ram van stalls when put into gear when cold

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Sir_Daud
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Dodge ram van stalls when put into gear when cold

it does not stall when im idling , It starts up very fine all the time, it does not stall when braking or any other time it only stalls when the engine is cold and i put it into gear. I have to give it gas to get it going but I feel doing this is bad for my baby. BTW this car was sitting for about 5 years im sorry i havent changed the fluids I just dont have the money right now please dont chastise me too much guys Im sorry!

Old 09-19-2010, 01:16 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a device called the Idle speed control actuator. It is attached to the throttle body and is adjacent to the throttle cables.

If you do a key dance to search for codes, it would be a code 35.
Search for" key dance' on this site if unsure on how to check the engine codes without a tester.

When you turn the key on, you should hear this activate, and push the pintle in and/or out.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...-2H1451-734850

First check the wiring and connectors leading to it.

Do make sure your battery is healthy and fully charged. If the battery is weak and undercharged the alternator can be operating at maximum output right after starting, and the combo of putting it in gear and the 2 to 3 horsepower the alternator requires to produce 50 to 75 amps might be too much.
Also make sure the ground wires from battery are shiny and tight and battery cables have no corrosion.

Hope that it is not a transmission related issue. But you should sniff your fluid, and check the level. If it smells burnt, no good. Use ATF +4 only.

Also buy a can of Seafoam and put it in the tank with about 12 gallons of fuel. You can also introduce it into the Throttle body for a more concentrated carbon removal. It is one of the few products in a can that lives upto it's claims

Last edited by landyacht318; 09-19-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do get the fluids changed asap. If money is tight I would do the oil first, then depending on color of coolant and transmission decided which to change next.

Quick Reply: 1988 Dodge ram van stalls when put into gear when cold