Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:36 PM
crazybanana
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid

I took my 2000 dodge ram 2500 cargo van with 5.9L to local oil change shop to have the transmission fluid change. they used Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle transmission fluid in it and told me the pennzoil oil is ATF+3 and ATF+4 spec. is that true?? this is not quite what i was asking for. should i leave the oil in or take it back and have them change it again??

Old 01-15-2008, 02:22 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts
Old 01-16-2008, 12:56 PM
crazybanana
Default RE: Transmission Fluid

i readthose link already before i post. i am not sure what they mean. it saysthe multi-vehicle oil can be used on all dodge engines. but from what i read inthis forum. some ppl says if the manual says to put ATF+3 in the transmission. then don't put anything else otherwise. that's why i am a little confused.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:30 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Basically since Pennzoil is claiming that the tranny fluid will work in Chrysler trannys then the oil change shop did nothing wrong. If your tranny fails with this fluid in it, then you have a case against Pennzoil for the damages.

Personally I'd leave it alone, as I'm sure that Pennzoil did extensive testing and would not make such a claim if they couldn't back it up. The next time you have the tranny fluid changed, you might want to specify the type of fluid you want in there beforehand.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:38 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the first Multi-Vehcile ATF fluid I've seen from Pennzoil as mentioned above. I'm not 100% certain it's fully compatiable.

Check out this Pennzoil ATF+3 link ...
http://www.pennzoil.com/products/tra...atf_plus3.html

Pennzoil® ATF+3 ATF

Pennzoil® ATF+3 is an automatic transmission fluid designed specifically for automatic transmissions and transaxles used in Chrysler vehicles. It is fully compatible with Pennzoil® 7176 ATF. It is manufactured with specially selected friction modifiers, highly refined base oils and a shear stable viscosity index improver. ATF+3 ATF has excellent oxidation and thermal stability for long mileage component protection.
Benefits:
Developed with specially selected friction modifiers and a highly refined base oil to meet the demanding friction requirements of automatic transmissions and transaxles. Compatible with and recommended where ATF+ or ATF+2 fluid was previously recommended. May be used for top-off, drain and fill, flush and fill, and initial fill of rebuilt Chrysler automatic transmissions and transaxles.
*Always check owner's manual for exact application. This product should not be used in transmissions requiring DEXRON ® -IIIâ€*, MERCON®â€* or MERCON®â€* V transmission fluids.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:29 AM
crazybanana

thank you guys for the info. btw, I did ask specifically for ATF+3. but they claim that the multi-vehicle trans Fluid is ATF+3 and ATF+4 competible. I guess i am going to leave it for now and see. i wil report back with any problem i have.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:19 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Although the Pennzoil fluid lays claim to being compatible it is not ATF+3. If you asked for ATF+3 then that's what you should've gotten. They should've said something to you and given you the choice rather than just putting in what they wanted to. You have a big gripe over them using a substitution without your okay.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Alloro, don't settle for the multi-vehicle ATF answer. It's false. You'll have more problems down the road. Besides, ATF+4 is synthetic, so how can they claim the multi-vehicle ATF to meet ATF+4 specifications. They can't!

Only the true Pennzoil ATF+3 should be used and NEVER the Pennzoil multi-vehicle ATF.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:54 AM
rcallihan
Default Transmission fluid - How much? What type?

So I have been reading the post on the Transmission oil. I am about to change out the oil on my 1990 B-150 Van myself and looking for specifics.

1. Specific brand and type? "Advanced Autoparts" steers me toward the ATF4, and says that it is a Chrysler oil and replaces Dextron II & III. From the post I feel that Advanced Auto is wrong. THoughts?

2. Manual states 8.5 quarts. - typically this includes the oil in the torque converter, which I don’t believe you can change, however, if anyone has done that when they change the oil, I would appreciate suggestions.

3. I also need to know how much the transmission holds w/o the torque converter so I will know how much to buy.

4. Also mentioned in other posts: "If you're dropping the pan and changing the filter as well, then the low/reverse band needs to be adjusted while you're in there. That is, if you want to save yourself a trannyrebuild job down the road." I am not clear what this is and if it is something I can do myself. Can anyone provide more detail?

THanks a ton!

Rob

Old 09-19-2010, 02:24 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any brand labelled ATF +4 has to meet a certain performance specification, and have the Lubrizol oil additive.

ATF +3 if no longer made, and ATF +4 replaces it and is backward compatible with any transmission that originally stated atf +2, or +3. It is one of the best fluids out there, and is a necessity for chryslers finicky trannies.

Adjusting the Bands is easy, if you have an accurate torque wrench, and can get a straight shot at the bolt

Buy 5 quarts for a pan drop, but you will likely only need 4. You will need a torx(star) bit to remove and replace the filter AZ sells a nice rubber gasket with their tranny kit.

If you are concerned about only extracting half the fluid with a pan drop, add a drain plug to the pan while you have it out. It makes it easy to drain and replace 4 more quarts, diluting the old fluid with new.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid