Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Tranny slip, dying, and PCM HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:29 PM
straddlecreek
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny slip, dying, and PCM HELP!

Hello from a noobie,

My wife and I recently bought a 2000 Ram Van 3500B with 98,000 miles from a private party. It ran fine at first, but now sometimes, not always, the transmission hesitates/slips at about 25-35 mph.

The other day, I had trouble starting the engine. It took several tries, but I got it to run. I got about 5 miles from home (going about 30 mph) when it suddenly lost power, then started to run herky jerky, then died.

The Dodge mechanic has not been able to duplicate the problems.

Diagnostics return no fault codes, however the PCM returns no response. The five-fold signal checks okay and power/ground to PCM checks okay.

They want to replace the PCM for $1,000.

I'd like to buy a refurbished PCM and either do it myself or have a different mechanic help me with it. The dealer mechanic says the PCM has to be reprogrammed with his diagnostic computer, so we have to have them do the work. Is this accurate?

Could the tranny problem and dying be related? Is the TCM a part of the PCM in our model van?

Also, I've found online info that says the PCM is under the hood. And another that indicates it might be under the driver's seat. There is a black box under the seat in our van with what looks like heavy duty power cords going towards the engine. Is this the PCM?

Thank you for any and all help with this!

Old 09-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your PCM has a set of numbers on or in it, these must be match up exactly when replacing. No you do not need to have it reprogrammed by the Chrysler dealer. The PCM is located under the hood in the center of the firewall above the engine.

The TCM is separate for you year van.

Yes the transmission problem may be PCM related for the PCM and TCM "talk" with each other as you drive.

The black box under the drivers seat is for the air bag system.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:21 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 79 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by straddlecreek
The other day, I had trouble starting the engine. It took several tries, but I got it to run. I got about 5 miles from home (going about 30 mph) when it suddenly lost power, then started to run herky jerky, then died.

They want to replace the PCM for $1,000.

I don't supposed they tested for fuel pressure? Those symptom sound like a fuel pump problem to me. You should have 31-33 PSI at idle.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Chazwel
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree on the fuel pump. I replaced mine in a 2000 Grand Caravan. It is located in the fuel tank. I changed the fuel filter also, it is located in the fuel tank too. When the fuel pump was starting to go out, the engine started to stall but would start back up (it was giving me a sign), then about 2 weeks later ( I didn't know what the problem was) bam she was dead

Quick Reply: Tranny slip, dying, and PCM HELP!