Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2003 Dodge Ram Van Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 01:40 PM
wiscosinbighorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge Ram Van Conversion

Hello all.

I am thinking of getting a 2003 Dodge Ram Van full decked out. What are the common problems for a 2003 (has 5.2L)?

Also, its been YEARS since I have driven rear wheel drive, and that was in cars (early 80s). How will this van ride in Wisconsin weather?

Old 10-01-2010, 09:55 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The van should prove to do alright in the snow if you have a good set of tires and a Road Master Active Suspension Kit. The kit can be installed with the average garage tools.

Conversion van setup
BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Tour in the XL load range

Cargo van setup
BF Goodrich Commercial T/A All Season load E

If you live up north or where Discount Tire is, the Arizonian Tire is an excellent tire for ride, wet traction/stopping and snow.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...zonian/home.do

Old 10-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snow tires on all four corners is a good move. Not many folks do it but it makes a big difference in overall traction and cornering in snow and ice. You can pick up a second set of steel wheels cheap and mount the snows to make it easy to change tires for the season without the need to have the tire shop swap tires on one set of rims.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:16 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by wiscosinbighorn
How will this van ride in Wisconsin weather?
It'll stop and corner okay, but the traction will be a bit cheesy.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:14 PM
SurfinSafari

Originally Posted by wiscosinbighorn
Hello all.

I am thinking of getting a 2003 Dodge Ram Van full decked out. What are the common problems for a 2003 (has 5.2L)?
I know this is an old thread But I am buying the same type of vehicle and have the same question.

Thanks,

SurfinSafari

Old 04-05-2012, 10:40 AM
dgrun
Amateur

I have a 1999 Ram Van conversion that I use for windsurfing spring, summer, fall and for skiing during the winter. I put 4 snow tires (the only safe way to go) on it for the winter and it's really great.

I have been able to get up icy hills that 4x4 with all season tires can't. Read the test reports at tirerack, popular mechanics, etc. Some org. does these tests every fall, snow tires vs all season tires on ice and snow. The number of driven wheels doesn't matter. more driven wheels can't increase the friction coefficient, only the actual material in the tires can.
(I'm also a physics guy).

Go with the snow tires. I use Firestone Winterforce. btw, check into whether studded snow tires are legal in your state, they are even better in snow and ice.

I have had all wheel drive cars before but the two best cars in snow I have ever owned are the van and my first car, a 1971 Fiat 124 Spyder. I had a fiberglass hardtop for it, put on studded snow tires and a couple bags of lime (for the lawn) in the trunk. I went up the mountain between Middlebury Vt and Killington Vt in a blizzard one time with over a foot of snow on the ground. That car went up and over with absolutely no problem.

btw, NEVER put only 2 snow tires on a car, it's really dangerous.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:43 AM
dgrun
Amateur

surfin safari,
I just noticed you are from Huntington Beach, Ca. I'm from Huntington also. Huntington, NY that is. haha, guess the jokes on me, I'd rather be in Cali. Maybe when I retire.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:00 PM
SurfinSafari

Hey DRUN ya man Huntington Beach California...I have not ever been to NY at all. I met some hot girls from upstate once....That was a great night...Memories...LOL anyways Ya man when you come out here look me up I will be hanging in the fan 70's style...Looking at installing the crescent moon window and of course the Thor slaying the dragon with hot naked women mural on the side of the van...haha

I do have a question for Stev or anyone that can answer.

I just put a set of BFG Commercial T/A all terrain tires on my 1500 conversion ramvan. Does anyone know if these are good tires for this van or should I have gone with the BFG long trail?

I was afraid I was going to need a more durable tire then the BFG Long Trail if I was going to tow anything.

What do ya think?

Thanks
SurfinSafari

Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BFG Commercial T/A all terrain are working well on my van and I've towed a 8-1/2x22ft cargo trailer loaded down with stuff last month. It's nice to have a tire that you can inflate to 60psi to 80psi for towing.

The BFG Commercial T/A all terrain are load "E" with very strong side walls. This helps with towing and helps with MPG since the side walls do not bulge outward while under load. The BFG Long Trail are alright for towing, but are not good for MPG benefits.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:26 AM
SurfinSafari

Thanks Stev I really appreciate your response.

Glad I got the tires I got.

Time to go to the beach!!!

And I was joking about the Thor mural and the Crescent moon window...In case anyone was wondering...

SurfinSafari

Last edited by SurfinSafari; 04-24-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Ram Van Conversion